Rammer or Vibrating Plate


22 Apr 2006
Reaction score
West Midlands
United Kingdom

Need to compact some hardcore and sand for a new kitchen floor. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a rammer and vibrating plate?

Also, need to do a section in the garage but a plate would be too wide and didn't really want to hire both.

My main concern is that a rammer wouldn't get the sand as level as the plate, but could I level it with a piece of wood after it was compacted?

Any ideas would be great as I've got to start it in the morning!
Sponsored Links
vibrating plate is a machine that you walk behind with a plate underneath that vibrates! Rammer is either a hand held flat plate or a mechanical one, more normally used for trenches etc. You can get small plates if space is an issue. the vibrating plate will be better for what you want to do. tell the hire company your circumstances and they should help you out

vibrate the sand first and then you can screed it level after
my first time on a trench rammer was hilarious. :LOL:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

Forgot to mention that the plastic soil pipe is approx 6" below the hardcore, will it be OK to go over this with the vibrating plate or should I keep clear of this area?

Also, around the perimeter of the kitchen floor, the type 1 hardcore is approx 2' deep,would a 16.5kn vibrating plate compact this in one go as all the type 1 is already in place?


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local