Random boiler activity noises - Vaillant ecoTec pro 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hoping someone could help with a question I have.

I have a new (January) Vaillant ecoTec pro 28 which is controlled via a Centaurplus 21 series 2 programmer.

The boiler and programmer feed a cylinder upstairs to fulfil all of my taps hot water demands including shower and bath.

My question is this....sometimes (multiple times an hour) , my boiler turns itself off and makes a fan type noise. All programmers are off (and is comfort mode) and this still happens now and again. The burner does not fire.

Also, the display in my boiler always says a figure that is quite high....at the moment it says 80 deg C with everything off and no sound coming from it.
(5 mins later...) it now continues to drop in temperature and is at 74 deg C (75 deg C is the max. temp the boiler is set at to delegate
heating control to thermostats and programmer). Also to add one more thing...the boiler starts making sounds again when i turn any cold water tap on for a few seconds and the temperature jumps up a few degrees.

I would really appreciate someones help, even if it is just to put my mind at ease. My past experiences with gas boilers if that they don't make a sound until they are used so this seems very odd to me.

Thanks!
Gary

Sponsored Links
It should only fire if there's a demand. Has this always happened since it was installed or is it a recent development? Either way, call your installer back to investigate

Does the tap symbol appear when this is happening & why did the installer fit a combi and leave the cylinder in ???
Sounds like a dead leg to me .

The boiler only fires its burner when the programmer is requesting heat. It just makes an activity type purring sound which is perhaps 50% less than the noise a burner would make.

This is happened since the boiler was installed.

I previously talked to the installer about why a cylinder was used and his reasoning was down to the size of the house. Perhaps the thought process was that if all taps were running warm, could the system support it e.g. would a shower be affected if someone turned on a few taps downstairs.

The tap symbol does not show as the boiler is not actually firing.

I guess my main concern about the noises is that it could be using electricity unnecessarily. I'm pretty sure that is is not using gas due to the lack of actual burner activity.

Appreciate the extremely speedy reply guys! I wish i posted these concerns earlier now :)

Sponsored Links
Get the installer back & get him to look at the S codes whilst the issue is happening or look at the manual yourself for S code access & monitor yourself

Get the installer back & get him to look at the S codes whilst the issue is happening or look at the manual yourself for S code access & monitor yourself

It's S.00 which cross referencing with the manual says "Heating, no heat demand"

You are taking the piss!.

Stop trying to spam this forum with your poor attempts at advertising.

The professionals here have more intelligence in their toe jam than you appear to have and will just report you to admin for removal.

Verano heaters are shit BTW.

:rolleyes:

*edit* post overlap with Steel :oops:

Hi there,

Hoping someone could help with a question I have.

I have a new (January) Vaillant ecoTec pro 28 which is controlled via a Centaurplus 21 series 2 programmer.

The boiler and programmer feed a cylinder upstairs to fulfil all of my taps hot water demands including shower and bath.

My question is this....sometimes (multiple times an hour) , my boiler turns itself off and makes a fan type noise. All programmers are off (and is comfort mode) and this still happens now and again. The burner does not fire.

Also, the display in my boiler always says a figure that is quite high....at the moment it says 80 deg C with everything off and no sound coming from it.
(5 mins later...) it now continues to drop in temperature and is at 74 deg C (75 deg C is the max. temp the boiler is set at to delegate
heating control to thermostats and programmer). Also to add one more thing...the boiler starts making sounds again when i turn any cold water tap on for a few seconds and the temperature jumps up a few degrees.

I would really appreciate someones help, even if it is just to put my mind at ease. My past experiences with gas boilers if that they don't make a sound until they are used so this seems very odd to me.

Thanks!
Gary

my Ideal EVO 'fires up' several times during the day and night because it warms a small amount of stored water. Unfortunately the feature cannot be turned off. Could that be what your boiler is doing?

Remove 24 volt link.

What is the purpose of the 24 volt link and why do you think removing it is the answer? I could search for more details on the forum but I would appreciate a little context as I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about this than I will ever do :)

Appreciate the advice

Remove 24 volt link.

What is the purpose of the 24 volt link and why do you think removing it is the answer? I could search for more details on the forum but I would appreciate a little context as I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about this than I will ever do :)

Appreciate the advice

Also just to add one last thing...when I put the central heating into summer mode...the noises stop and the temp. on the combo display eventually returns to room temperature instead of hanging around the 70s.

Just noticed that heating mode on my boiler is constantly on.

I.e. the radiator/"gate" icon is constantly displayed.

Would that have anything to do with it?

Again, the noises stop when i activate summer mode.

Yep it will have something to do with it.

The controls are wired up wrong, might be worth talking to your installer. Some boiler installers are clueless with controls.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back