Random vibrations in pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
For a year or so I've been having what only I can describe as a small vibration sounding noise coming from a water pipe I presume. I can hear it more when I'm lucky enough to catch it in the bathroom or under the stairs where the stop cock is. Lasts around a second and then stops. Five minutes later it might do it and then nothing for days or weeks. There is no rhyme or reason when this occurs. Can go months without the sound and then one day the noise returns. I have altered the stop cock in the house by turning it a quarter of a turn or turn on a tap and the noise will not appear. Whether this is pure luck or not I'm not sure as the vibration is so short in time when it occurs. I called a plumber last year and he recommended to turn the stop tap down a bit too see if they worked. The only work we've had done lately was a water meter fitted to the external stop tap on the pavement. That was four days ago. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Water pressure and pipe runs can create strange sounds especially if the pipe work is loose or badly designed. Our kitchen tap cartridge was dripping continuously, but the whole house "sung" when the washing machine or dishwasher were turned on. Changing the tap resolved it.

But it sounds like turning down the stop cock has worked.

There will be a connection to some event, you just haven't found it yet.
Maybe when a toilet has been flushed, and just before it finishes re-filling?
Maybe when the loft cold tank is nearly full?
Keep a log (not the toilet type though :eek:) of when it happens, and when something is done but it doesn't happen.
Maybe then you'll home in on the true cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back