Range Oven - Thermocouple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Zanussi range oven of which a couple of months had issues with the pilot light going out (it's a commercial range oven).

After recommendations for a local service engineer to come and look at I booked them in. After looking at it the engineer replaced the thermocouple as the old one was pretty deteriorated. The replacement was one which he happened to have in the back of his van and didn't charge us for it.

Now, we're back to square one but this time there is VERY little gas coming through to the pilot light.

My question....could the replacement thermocouple be the cause of this? Wrong length, fitting on the gas valve/tap end etc?

Prior to them coming out the gas worked fine, it was just when we turned the heat up from the "ignition" setting it would cut out. The burners work fine so no issue with gas level I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
I must add that I just want some ammo/information before I call them out again for another £80+

The thermocouple doesn't control 'how much' gas comes through the pilot, just whether it stays lit or not. Probably a blockage in the pilot injector which will need taking apart (not something you can do yourself).

Thank you. Understand it's not a job for me, but now have something else for them to look at! Luckily I have found the manual online so can give them the part number too :)

Sponsored Links
Friendly advice - while you mean well by giving part number and your diagnosis, sometimes coming across as a "know it all"; no matter how good your intentions, can be off putting to someone who is coming to fix a problem. By all means suggest it, but don't come across as if you think you know more than he does. If he works for the manufacturer I'm sure he can get the part number himself etc :) . It may not even need a part, injectors are usually very easily cleaned out once disassembled.

Whilst fitting the new thermocouple the Engineer could have disturbed some crud in the pilot injector, often happens as sh*t does

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back