Range Rover boot lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend could not unlock the boot of her Range Rover. It was loosely or soft locked but the button did not operate to release it.

Only when the boot was pressed into the firmly shut position with considerable force did the un-lock button release the lock.

To me this suggests that the switch that detects the boot is locked is not correctly placed or there is a similar fault.

She was told this is a known and not un-common problem, if the boot is not shut firmly it becomes "soft locked " and cannot then be opened.

Is there a known fix for this problem as the force needed to push the soft locked boot into the fully locked position is beyond her.

Sponsored Links
I don't know how conventional these systems are, but normally the boot tailgate has a peg that descends into a two position latch......one for the soft latch and one for the fully closed position.
Usually all we do is to reposition the latch so that it doesn't pull the peg in too tightly i.e move it a fraction towards the outside of the vehicle.
John :)

What year Range Rover? This would be quite helpful as there have been 4 major versions with several incremental changes in between.
It will be a while before I can get the year as it has vanity plates and belongs to her partner who is over seas.

Sponsored Links
However, assuming its a recent ish model, this might work:

It appears it was caused by pressing the full tailgate open button yet pulling the tailgate up with the middle of the handle (where the top tailgate open button is). This confused the car and when closing it only soft closed. The guy from Land Rover Assist who came today explained its a common fault. He said to only ever open the full tailgate by using the 2 grips above the ends of the number plate and not to use the middle.

To resolve it he pushed the tailgate in and at the same time pushed the full tailgate open button at the same time. There is a knack. He said sometimes he's done it first time and sometimes it's taken 10 minutes. Mine took about 30 seconds. When pushing push the tailgate in a forward direction and slightly down. Don't hold the button in, just press at the same time.

Back