Range Rover insurance

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of people aspire to owning a Range Rover, and more people want one but don't want to pay for them, so many get nicked. Figures bandied about suggest around 90 a week are stolen in London(not sure whether central, inner or greater) mainly because the security on them is almost non existent. Lots of YouTube videos on the subject, and many of them state it is becoming impossible to insure, add to that the poor reliability and hardly any spares available, it could be that JLR cease trading in this country. On the insurance front, I did a quote comparison on meerkat, I can get insurance for an evoque for about £1400, but the compulsory excess is £5k. Anyone on here have one, if so, do you intend to keep it?

Sponsored Links
My friend was buying one to drive to wales and spend weekends in the wild.
He lives in chelsea.
On comparison websites, most insurance companies did not offer a quote and the cheapest was £5k with £5k excess.
He bought a converted transporter instead.

My niece has an Evoque, insurance went from £380 to £680 (near Slough). She lives in a decent postcode in a gated community and mainly works from home so no daily commute.
No significant increase of premium on our Discovery but a Cornish postcode helps.

If you can afford a range rover surely you can afford a £5k excess, does seem excessive though.

Sponsored Links
I know a guy who repos them. He’s very very busy.

They seem popular with people who tarmac drives for a living.

There are also lots of rental scams going on that target RR.

I know another lady who enforces warranty contracts on them, because they try to dodge any claim on any grounds.

I looked into getting a sport a few years ago but it rattled and squeaked too much for my liking.

The new defender looks nice.

I only of problems with range rovers/discoveries, there are loads nearly new at the local dealership

Just looking at some more quotes, and it seems the £5k excess is the exception rather than the rule, but all the quotes are over £1k, whereas my Passat is just over £300 fully comp. My daughter has an Evoque, it is tiny, bits of trim keep falling off, the paintwork is flaking, it's been back several times in the last year, and now it seems the starter motor could be on the way out, not bad for a 5 year old, supposedly luxury vehicle. I suggested she bins it and gets a Sportage, but even they are not averse to engine problem on a fairly big scale.

I suggested she bins it and gets a Sportage, but even they are not averse to engine problem on a fairly big scale.

Very few modern diesels not subject to issues, if we went away from JLR I'd look at a fully loaded Nissan X Trail.

I only of problems with range rovers/discoveries, there are loads nearly new at the local dealership
I would doubt if there is any RR that has not been back under warranty, and heavy repairs outside of it.

I don't think many other brands have as much warranty work as RR

Ours was quite reasonable to insure when we had it. I was with LV. Every year I checked around before renewing but couldn’t beat the price. What’s more, many of them wanted trackers fitted plus, if the pano roof was broken, it went on the body insurance so excess of about £500 I think plus it affected the ncd. With LV it went on the glass policy so £120 excess and NCD not affected. Just lately though, more and more RR's are being nicked and not just in this area. They have made three attempts to nick my mates FFRR Autobiography - the last attempt they climbed through an open fanlight window and stole keys - unfortunately they were for his partners Audi. A neighbour saw them and phoned police who came quickly. They didn’t get the car bus she had to have the house locks replaced and the car cost about £2k to be reprogrammed with new keys at Audi. He has one of those 'Ghost' security systems fitted to it.

My wife has an 8 year old Evoque, been very reliable.
5000k per year....£602.00 insurance with AA
Had to haggle after going on Compare the Market.

Sponsored Links
Back