Range Rover insurance

My wife has an 8 year old Evoque, been very reliable.
5000k per year....£602.00 insurance with AA
Had to haggle after going on Compare the Market.

Most people I know who own them have had them before and continued with them and would buy them again, as with all makes there's plenty of horror stories on the internet, maybe we're lucky in that our ownership experience has been positive, and maybe all the people we know who own them are lucky people too, maybe we only know lucky people.

Sponsored Links
Most people I know who own them have had them before and continued with them and would buy them again, as with all makes there's plenty of horror stories on the internet, maybe we're lucky in that our ownership experience has been positive, and maybe all the people we know who own them are lucky people too, maybe we only know lucky people.

We only had one breakdown and that was due to an electrical problem with our Evoque not recognising the keys and the backup was superb. Car was temporarily fixed by LR patrol, booked into a dealership with priority, replacement hire car supplied (Disco Sport) and fixed promptly. Mind you, I maintained it myself - replacing cam belt, auto gearbox flush, replacing Haldex filter and oil all at the recommended intervals plus full servicing once the two years free LR servicing expired etc etc. We did have the proven 2.2 bullet proof engine and 6 speed 'box though - plenty of people had problems with the Euro 6 ingenium engines and 8 speed boxes.

Very few modern diesels not subject to issues, if we went away from JLR I'd look at a fully loaded Nissan X Trail.
I had an X-trail, really great car, until the fuel pump went at 50k, which damaged the turbo and intercooler -£5k repair bill on a car that was probably worth £7-8k. Something to do with how the pipes were crimp fitted apparently as it allowed air in. I had an XC90 which was very comfy, but running costs on large 4x4s are always high.

We only had one breakdown and that was due to an electrical problem with our Evoque not recognising the keys and the backup was superb. Car was temporarily fixed by LR patrol, booked into a dealership with priority, replacement hire car supplied (Disco Sport) and fixed promptly. Mind you, I maintained it myself - replacing cam belt, auto gearbox flush, replacing Haldex filter and oil all at the recommended intervals plus full servicing once the two years free LR servicing expired etc etc. We did have the proven 2.2 bullet proof engine and 6 speed 'box though - plenty of people had problems with the Euro 6 ingenium engines and 8 speed boxes.

Oil dilution due to failed regens was a problem on the disco sport and evoque, once the engine was in the designers found there was no room for the particulate filter so it was located lower down, making it harder to get to operating temperature., Jaguars with the ingenium engines didn't suffer from this.

Sponsored Links
I had an X-trail, really great car, until the fuel pump went at 50k, which damaged the turbo and intercooler -£5k repair bill on a car that was probably worth £7-8k. Something to do with how the pipes were crimp fitted apparently as it allowed air in. I had an XC90 which was very comfy, but running costs on large 4x4s are always high.

We had one for a year, bought it purely for the spec, nice car. Test drove a Qashqai at the time but it just didn't do it for us.

Jeremy Clarkson said the most reliable car on the market is the Range Rover and it's also the most unreliable car on the market.
Personally if I had to buy a 4x4 I would go for a Toyota.
I see people who live in tough environments all use them and I doubt they do much maintenance.

Oil dilution due to failed regens was a problem on the disco sport and evoque, once the engine was in the designers found there was no room for the particulate filter so it was located lower down, making it harder to get to operating temperature., Jaguars with the ingenium engines didn't suffer from this.

A lot of warranty ( and afternarket) issues and expense are electrical based. Not just mechanical

Wev'e had Daihatsu 4 track's Mitzi Pajero 2.5 td auto import, now got a Mitzi 2.5 td warrior sport, all prety low tech , only used for towing my boat her horse trailer our caravan and any new fangled fancy 4x4s that gets stuck, prety thirsty, a lot to tax but almost bomb proof, big as a house inside, taken family of 5 to France 3 years in a row done 1000's of miles, just only tax it in the summer when we are likely to use it in towns or on main roads with anpr;)

Must admit if I had the £££ to burn I'd have the RR Sport and change it well within warranty period so I didn't have to stump up for any issues thereafter. I love the look of them.

Wev'e had Daihatsu 4 track's Mitzi Pajero 2.5 td auto import, now got a Mitzi 2.5 td warrior sport, all prety low tech , only used for towing my boat her horse trailer our caravan and any new fangled fancy 4x4s that gets stuck, prety thirsty, a lot to tax but almost bomb proof, big as a house inside, taken family of 5 to France 3 years in a row done 1000's of miles, just only tax it in the summer when we are likely to use it in towns or on main roads with anpr;)
And the insurance is less than £ 200, goes through the mot with little to do every year.

I don't know anything about 4x4s, but friends had Mitsu Pajeros and found them very reliable. If I wanted AWD that's what I would be looking for. Or maybe a Jeep Wrangler type - but know nothing of their reliability. Anything Range Rover seems like massive bills waiting to happen.

Brother in law has a 2nd hand caravan business so tows a lot he has had Nissan Terrano, good but rotted prob been used for launching boats, Mitzi Pajero, good but was writen off, 2 Discos both had gearbox trouble, Nissan pick up that broke its back, got paid out by Nissan for that bought a nearly new one that was ok sold on to his son, X5 nightmare, now a VW 4wd its nearly new and a load of sh1t good job its still under waranty as been back to dealers nearly every week, keeps pesting me to sell my old Mitzi, nooooo chance

Sponsored Links
Back