Range Tribune HE Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just found this forum and thought someone might be able to help me before I call out a plumber.

Apologies in advance as im not too technical.

I have a Range Tribune HE boiler and the immersion has stopped working, looking at the instructions I think it has 2 immersion elements!

The boiler has 2 timers and 2 electric switches. The bottom switch and timer I leave permanently on and have this set to come on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night to heat the water. This is working fine as im still getting hot water.

However the top timer and switch which controls the immersion is no longer working as when I turn it on I dont get any hot water. I normally only use the immersion when we have run out of hot water and need some heating quickly.

This happened once before and I called out a plumber and he found the problem to be the fuse in the main electric box thing had tripped and he replaced this and it worked again.

I dont think this is the case this time however as I looked at the electric box and the switch had not tripped.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused the immersion to stop working?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Turn power OFF to top immersion. Undo small nut holding cover on, remove the cover. There may be a reset button under here on the stat, if its popped out then push in to reset. Replace cover, switch power on and see! If there's no reset, then possible fuse has blown on wall switch (if fuse fitted), or the immersion is likely goosed. If fuse here ok and back at the main fusebox then chances are new immersion required...

Thanks for quick reply. Wheer is this small nut I need to undo, on the fuse box or the boiiler? Sorry im an idiot!!!

It holds the round cover onto the immersion. Isolate power first as removing the cover will expose electrical parts, 240v makes you dance, believe me.....

Sponsored Links
Ah I see, it has 2 immersions so do I need to check both? Also surely both wouldent break at once. The water was totally cold, I would have thought if 1 was working then I would still get some hot water. This seems to indicate it may not be the elements themselves though as you know im no expert!!!

Also when I flick the switch to turn the immersion on I hear a click, that mean anything?!

On a different note, dont suppose anyone knows what companies offer annual boiler cover for electric boilers like mine?

British gas etc only seem to offer cover for gas boilers.

Thanks again.

Bottom immersion should be on Economy 7, it will switch on between 1.00 and 8 a.m. to heat the entire tank of water, on cheap rate electricity. The top is a 'boost' heater, can be used anytime to top up if you have used a lot of water, but this uses standard rate electricity so can be expensive if used for long periods. With 2 timers though it does make me wonder what the setup is.....

Have you been using the top immersion on a regular basis for hot water? This may indicate the bottom immersion hasn't been working for some time. What form of heating do you have for the rooms?

The rooms just have electric wall heaters which are useless so we use oil filled radiators. The flat is only 3 years old!!!

We never really uses the top immersion unless we have run out of hot water and need some heating quickly.

Both timers have pins etc in them that you set when you want them to come on.

I hope its not a big problem, though like I said we are still getting hot water from the bottom switch!!!

http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk/product-tribune-standard.html

Thats the boiler we have.

Unusual for a building of that age not to have E7, without seeing the setup though cant really tell. Storage heaters have their drawbacks, need to charge overnight to release the heat next day, then often when you need it most (evening) its run out so you have to use the expensive boost option. (How many cables go into the wall heaters? One either side may indicate E7).

Worst case scenario is with the water you'll need to change top immersion. Check for obvious problems, reset popped, fuse blown. If you feel able, a few checks with a multimeter can be done, if not then probably time to call someone in. If you could put a pic up of the electric meter(s) then may be able to tell you if its an E7 meter.

Turn top timer & switch on, remove top immersion cover and check for power at thermostat terminals with multimeter.

If you have power - it's either safety stat or element
If no power its problem with switch.

If safety cut out has popped out then push in to reset and try turning both stats down a little.

Just 1 cable into the wall heaters.

I have taken a pic of the top immersion, I cannot see any reset unless its that white thing? Also when we do use the immersion the water is boiling, it looks like it is all the way round to its hottest setting, is that correct?

Sorry pic is blurred. Not sure if its even viewable! I uploaded it to an album.

[/img]

Yes the reset is the white thing in the hole just above the blue dial.
Make sure power is off then push it in to reset.
Then set blue temp dial to the single dot - not up to max.

As said before test for power supply here when switch is turned on to confirm switch/timer is ok

Try turning the temperature down a bit on the lower immersion as that might have caused the upper one to trip !

Cheers Wetshoes, had a hungry daughter so trip to pizza shop required! Hopefully the OP will have hot water sorted again soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back