Raspberry pi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used a raspberry pi to automate thier house heating/ventilation?

I have a quite complicated system which has wood burner(plumbed in with back boiler) combined with oiled fired combi boiler(fed into rads via plate heat exchanger), mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, solar thermal, solar pv(with diverter to heat water tank / convector heater), 3no. Hot water cylinders (due to space restrictions)- 1no. Pressurised +2no. Gravity fed, a fair number of pipe stats, 3speed rad pump rewired to run at speed dependent on water temp ect ect.

Already have a couple of rasberry pi's used for streaming and they have capability of running countless temperature sensors / relays ect. Plus my boy can program the pi and get it networked / viewable on smart phone /internet.

Anyone with any experience with pi and automation, I would love to hear your what it is capable of.

Sponsored Links
Let me think about it.

27766824-E296-448E-AD3F-8480749F2454.gif

To give an idea of what I'm looking at controlling / monitoring attached a couple schematics of current system. All running ok, just looking for rasberry pi to control / monitor / log, plus would give easy access to view via smart phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-092955_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-092955_Gallery.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20210115-093020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-093020_Gallery.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Take a look at Home Assistant.

You also might like to look at Arduino - IMHO more suited in some of the scenarios you may be looking at. And nothing to stop you mixing the two - arduino for sensors/device control, and HA running on a PI for combining everything.

Last edited:
Has anyone used a raspberry pi to automate thier house heating/ventilation?

I have a quite complicated system which has wood burner(plumbed in with back boiler) combined with oiled fired combi boiler(fed into rads via plate heat exchanger), mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, solar thermal, solar pv(with diverter to heat water tank / convector heater), 3no. Hot water cylinders (due to space restrictions)- 1no. Pressurised +2no. Gravity fed, a fair number of pipe stats, 3speed rad pump rewired to run at speed dependent on water temp ect ect.

Already have a couple of rasberry pi's used for streaming and they have capability of running countless temperature sensors / relays ect. Plus my boy can program the pi and get it networked / viewable on smart phone /internet.

Anyone with any experience with pi and automation, I would love to hear your what it is capable of.

Not personally, but a friend mentioned that his Swiss heating system failed, so he made a new controller with a Raspberry Pi.
He is a programmer by trade so this sort of thing is easy for him - I have no idea! But it should be possible if you know what you're doing - has quite a few of those on/off control ports on, so should be able to operate a few devices I think.

and you could have several set up I suppose, if you've a lot going on?

Use something like node red connected to the I/O via MQTT. Node red can take care of all the logic and MQTT can abstract the I/O. I use the Honeywell Galaxy alarm to connect my own sensors, reading their states into node red and in turn driving outputs but you can use any other MQTT compatible sensor/circuit. You don't need to use MQTT, but it is a great solution and allows many things to be connected together. Node red has many plugins for connecting echo dot and many more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back