Rate of increase of room temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is a typical figure for the rate of increase in room temperature when a heating system starts up?

A friend of mine said it should be 4degC per hour but mine only manages about 1degC per hour between 6am and 9am.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Think that's an imponderable, eg type of heating, insulation, boiler temp, rad size, type, size of room, property type and so on.

Think that's an imponderable, eg type of heating, insulation, boiler temp, rad size, type, size of room, property type and so on.
Sure, but I wondered what other people are seeing?

Mike

What is a typical figure for the rate of increase in room temperature when a heating system starts up?

A friend of mine said it should be 4degC per hour but mine only manages about 1degC per hour between 6am and 9am.

Mike

I think there are far too many variables to make sweeping generalisations

Sponsored Links
today my living room 4 hours 18 minutes to go up 1c from 18.7 to 19.7 with an average flow temp of 28.6c using about 1.283kWh of gas with about 3.5 hours of burn time

Thinking aloud, I would expect it to be exponential rather than linear.

today my living room 4 hours 18 minutes to go up 1c from 18.7 to 19.7 with an average flow temp of 28.6c using about 1.283kWh of gas with about 3.5 hours of burn time
That's around 367 watts per hour, you either have a TPI roomstat that's causing the boiler to cycle constantly or a problem with the boiler causing the recycling or WC if installed has set the target temp far too low which will also cause the boiler to cycle.
Yesterday morning , ambient of 1.0C, it took about 45 minutes to raise the temp from 18.1C to the digital stat setpoint of 19.0C thereafter it takes around 10 minutes to raise temp from its cut in at 18.85C to cut out at 19C and overshoot to 19.1C, oil firedboiler target temp 70C.

Not seeing anything. I put more clothes on and seek out all air leaks and seal them. So far, no need for central heating. Major air leaks were in the exterior doors.
Even though you are not feeling cold, you still should put your CH once a week it helps your house.

That's around 367 watts per hour, you either have a TPI roomstat that's causing the boiler to cycle constantly or a problem with the boiler causing the recycling or WC if installed has set the target temp far too low which will also cause the boiler to cycle.
Yesterday morning , ambient of 1.0C, it took about 45 minutes to raise the temp from 18.1C to the digital stat setpoint of 19.0C thereafter it takes around 10 minutes to raise temp from its cut in at 18.85C to cut out at 19C and overshoot to 19.1C, oil firedboiler target temp 70C.
That's 1.238kW per hour ;) as I said it was 3.5 hours of burner on time

Well, I have a number now. 0.5C increase in 45 minutes from body heat and a computer running at 30w with monitor running at max 90w. Doors are closed. The kitchen is approx 4.5mx4.5m. After sealing air leak, it gained +2C from 16C to 18C from passive heating. The fridge probably adds a tiny amount of heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back