Rats

I had rats in the garden last year. They were tunnelling into my garden storage box and eating out of the rubbish bags. I bought a wire rat trap and managed to move them all one by one to a local wood.

Sponsored Links
I had rats in the garden last year. They were tunnelling into my garden storage box and eating out of the rubbish bags. I bought a wire rat trap and managed to move them all one by one to a local wood.

You should have taken them round to Joe's. :LOL:

I hate all animal cruelty, God knows how many mice and rats I have saved from the mouths of my cats! oh and frogs, burds, and bees as well.

Me too. I've gone to a great deal of trouble to put bees and even slugs outside without hurting them, and spiders are free to plod about in our house at will (although my wife keeps destroying their homes).

Wasps, however, sign their own death warrant when they come into our house.

Sponsored Links
Well we had a word with the neighbours and they've brushed up all of the bird seed and promised to stop putting all kinds of food out, they are otherwise very nice sensible people so we'll see how it goes.
The other neighbours got the council pest control guy out and he put some bait around in their's and our garden, he mentioned that the fat balls that people put out for birds can act as an antidote for the rat poison. :eek:
Well get the rat man out again to put some more bait down as some of them have already been taken.

Me too. I've gone to a great deal of trouble to put bees and even slugs outside without hurting them, and spiders are free to plod about in our house at will

I'm very similar but it's death to feckin rats as far as I'm concerned.

Sooey, why don't you mention to the neighbour what you have seen rather than go to the authorities in the first instance.

The rats will be present, whether your neighbour puts food out or not, it's just the food brings them to the surface.

Read the thread again, WE have spoken to the neighbour and told them exactly what we have seen. The OTHER neighbour got the council pest control man out (perfectly reasonable when you've got rats living under your decking).

The rats will be present, whether your neighbour puts food out or not, it's just the food brings them to the surface.

The food brings them into the immediate surroundings and allows them to multiply as much as they like, and we all know how much they can multiply if given harborage and a ready supply of food.

I will get rid of them but first I will have to go mental, that might take some years to come! :LOL: (Ps Many on here are already on that bandwagon, I started a thread about IP addresses and some mentally handicapped idiots started posting about god, mostly from the central heating and plumbing section, sounds like their brain has suffered from Co poisoning) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But at the rate things are happening i might go mental sooner! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We put seed and stuff out for the birds but, touch wood, I've never seen any rats. Mind you, two of my neighbours are mental cases - next door with four cats and the bloke opposite with five. So the rats don't stand much chance.

Leaving out poisoned grain is not a good idea. Pets, birds etc could end up eating it.

One of our dogs ate rat poison because some prat had left it out. We were pavement walking at the time, no idea where the poison was. the amount eaten must have been very small but it was enough to make him ill, gums bleeding when touched etc. Their irresponsible behaviour cost us £100 in vet fees and incalculable distress.

A responsible pest control agent will use proper housings to keep the poison in, "accessible" only to rodents.

Some local government environmental health departments will provide the service for free, others will charge.

As an aside

A meticulously clean client of mine in Chiswick once mentioned that she could hear noises under her kitchen floor. I thought that she was making it up. Never-the-less whilst she was on holiday I lifted some boards.

Whilst having lunch a rat popped his head out, we had a staring contest for a couple of minutes until he ran away.

Although the rats had never made it up past the flooring, I rang environmental health. they turned up the next day (Friday). They used half a large tub of grain. I was told it would take a couple of weeks for them to eat it

I returned on Monday morning. All of the grain was gone. for the rest of day all I could hear was the poor blighters screaming in agony.

Rat man came back Tuesday, put down more grain. He warned me that the client would have a fly infestation once the flies lay eggs in the rat nests.

I decided to be "helpful" and spray expanding foam in the bolt holes. NOT a good idea. Sure the client had no flies but the rats decomposed very, very slowly. You could smell the decaying flesh 3 houses away. The smell persisted for about a month.

After repeated return visits the Rat man decided that the grain might now be attracting more rats.

The client paid for sewer inspections. nothing found. She was paranoid about them coming up through the toilet- not uncommon where her cleaner comes from in Poland. Each loo seat had heavy weights on them, even on the third floor.

In the end she considered moving. Sat down and did the maths and decided that it was cheaper to move out for a couple of weeks, rip up all the floors and back fill the foundations with concrete before laying new flooring.

It worked but cost £8000.

A month later she had squirrels in the attic, but that's another story...

Sponsored Links
Back