Rattling above archway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure where to post this so please forgive me if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

We’ve got an archway between our kitchen/hallway and our garden room.

Yesterday, I put up 3 pieces of wall art (butterflies in attached 1st pic) around the arch way, using a screw into the wall just around the edge of the archway (supporting the butteflies - see 2nd/3rd pics) on which the butterflies sit.

upload picture

anonymous picture upload

upload

However, everytime we shut the door to the dining room (on left hand side of 1st pic), or indeed knock on the wall that the arch way sits, we get this odd rattling sound, but are unsure what this is and how serious this could be.

Sponsored Links
Yuk! Take them down. Have you no style?

Surely its just your butterflies rattling against the wall? was it there before they arrived?

unsure what this is and how serious this could be.

IfI were you,I'd get a surveyor in asap or at least contact your local building inspector at the council.
Rattling butterflies suggest serious health and safety issues.

Sponsored Links
Surely its just your butterflies rattling against the wall? was it there before they arrived?

Will take them off and see if rattling still there, didn't think to check that!

Just fyi for all the smart arses out there - if you're coming up with what you think are smart responses, at least try and make them even slightly amusing!

i was renovating a house once and there was an arch between two rooms like yours, anyway when it came to taking down the arch i found that the lintel was made of two pieces of 1 1/2" rusty bed iron, there were even bricks underneath the bed iron held there with wire, and it was a supporting wall!

now i dont want want to scare you, but that rattled when you knocked it.

Wasn't sure where to post this so please forgive me if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

[
However, everytime we shut the door to the dining room (on left hand side of 1st pic), or indeed knock on the wall that the arch way sits, we get this odd rattling sound, but are unsure what this is and how serious this could be.
You could have warned me - I have mottephobia :cry: . As suggested there is probably some loose stuff behind the panel -it probably started as a square hole in the brickwork and someone rounded it off with a hollow plasterboard construction

Have now checked and you were indeed correct!

I've tightened them against the wall and the rattling has stopped. Many thanks!!!!

tony1851";p="2524791 said:

I've tightened them against the wall and the rattling has stopped. [/

quote]

Absolutely brilliant!! Would never have thought of that in a million years!!

Time to go back to the hole you crawled out of :rolleyes:

[Just fyi for all the smart a**es out there - if you're coming up with what you think are smart responses, at least try and make them even slightly amusing!
Well I did try with mine :idea: C`mon guys ; Glasgow kiss and make up . E. Lothian , birthplace of Scotland`s Flag - thank feck for devolution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back