Widen archway between lounge and dining room

5 Feb 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My wife and I are about to complete on our first home this week.

We are looking to completely redecorate the whole house and one of the things we have been looking at doing is widening the space between the two rooms picture below.

I wasn't able to get much information out of the seller except that the house was built in the early 90s and she thinks the archway is part of the original build with the wall feeling like solid brick.

I know it would be best to get a tradesman in to have a look and quote widening the archway but is there anything I can do to check how much of that wall is supporting or not. I would only get a tradesman in if it was a simple widening aka removing a set of bricks, plasterboard and plastering the new shape. If it was the case of needing a RSJ I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Thanks guys!

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 19.05.50.png
Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 19.06.04.png
Sponsored Links
First thing I'd do when moved in is ask the neighbours what they have done, and if they know anyone else.
A deco at various estate agents pages will also bring up internal photos of the same house style, even if it's elsewhere
Have a knock on the wall above it - if solid you'll probably need longer steel. Knock on the curved sections as well - if hollow you could just remove the arch formers and square off the arches for a more modern and tiny bit more open look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links