Widening an archway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I live in a mid terraced house, with dinning room at the front and living room to the rear. the 2 rooms are separated by a square archway that some of our neighbours have double doors in, ours is open.

I would like to open the arch as wide as possible to create a more open feeling, but am wondering how wide I can open it.

There currently isn't a lintel above the opening, although is is lined with the 3 sides with timber but certainly not construction grade and any thickness to support anything above. The wall does run through both floors, but is not the full width of the house, the wall stops at the hallway for the stairs..

I can take some pictures if it would help, but I was just after some initial advice to see if widening the opening would be a huge job.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I suppose arch is the wrong word...... opening is better I suppose...... yes.. square arch is a bizarre description... Ive been quoted £200 for a complete service from a structural engineer.. does that seem reasonable?

Ive been quoted £200 for a complete service from a structural engineer.. does that seem reasonable?
Yes.
Although, what constitutes 'complete'?

Don't be fooled into thinking he will deal with Building Control or the PWA. That will be your responsibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back