Ravenheat 84et dead loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ravenheat combi stopped working a fortnight ago. Using the fault finding guide I have attempted to diagnose and fix, but with no joy :(
The boiler does not work for HW or CH. I have changed the following in the same sequence; CH & HW sensors, main summer/winter switch, timer, main circuit board, low water pressure switch.
When switching boiler on the light on the front comes on. When selecting 'On' the timer relay clicks and testing continuity across terminals 3&5 it's ok. But still no voltage to pump and no movement of relays on main circuit?!

From reading through the fault finding flow chart in the boiler manual regardless of other faults the boiler pump should at least run?

I am wondering if the replacement circuit board could be faulty? It was an exchange board rather than brand new. But I'm sure it would have been tested.

Sponsored Links
Check to see if you have 240vac between pump live and earth.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
have you checked continuity across your low water pressure switch.
3 wires black,brown and blue.
low water pressure trips boiler off, expect continuity across Black and brown.
Sufficient water pressure continuity across black and Bue.

Recheck all the connections you have made to the board and dax beat me to the low pressure switch ;)

There is continuity across black and brown but no continuity across black and blue! This is a new switch so not sure why this is happening. Is it possible to short the black and blue to trick boiler and see if pump runs? Or is there any reason other than a faulty switch (as pressure gauge is reading 1.2 bar) that low pressure switch not operating correctly?

I removed low pressure switch and found opening in port to be completely gummed up. Screwed a self tapper into blockage and pulled it out with pliers. Switch back in and continuity between blue and black. Jobs a good un thanks to your diagnostic help! Heating back on. I bet the weather warms up now!

yeah you can trick it by linking them-Black and blue.

Just to add im only using the wiring diagram and it shows the switch rest position ie no water between black and brown, from what you said that would indicate no water in boiler.

With all those parts you bought ( including a dodgy repaired PCB ) I would have expected it would have been far quicker and probably cheaper to have called a boiler engineer!

Or perhaps you prefer to live in the cold without hot water for two weeks!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back