Ravenheat CSI85A timer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ravenheat CSI85A condensing combi. For a while now the timer has been unreliable, not always coming on. Now it's failed completely. (A quick search reveals that these are notoriously ****e.)

Hot water still works fine; the symptoms suggest a sticky relay in the timer module itself (in the past you could hear it buzz before making contact; thumping it would help it along). Now it doesn't even click when I press the timer button.

Sounds like I need a new timer module --- but there *are* a couple of chunky relays on the main board immediately behind the timer, which could have been producing the sounds I was hearing (and am now not). If they've gone, I'll need a new main board. But could they be faulty and have the hot water still work?

Assuming it is the timer, are these modules standard? For example, http://www.abcotuk.co.uk/Subcategory.asp?Catid=C2&CpId=C2-3 sells a range of very similar looking modules. Could I get, say, their bottom end unbranded mechanical timer and just fit it, or would I need a specific Ravenheat part suitable for my model of boiler?

Sponsored Links
The timers are made by graslin. Now I wont promise that every combination works but they are used on ferroli ravenheat baxi and worcester and others I'm sure

They are usually interchangeable but dont sue me if you find a combination that isnt.

Format is usually that 1 and 2 power the motor and the other two wires are switched on any combination of 3,4 and 5. Theres a little diagram on the back if you get confused.

As I recall yours will be switched on 3 and 5. For the meantime either link these or move the wire from 5 to 4. An ON period should now be OFF and vice versa. You can now either reverse program your timer or just leave it in the off using the main switch for operation until you get a replacement.

Officially all parts should be those supplied by the manufacturer but in the real world a timer is a timer. It's not a combustion critical component so I would fit whatever is cheapest. The normal price for that timer is over £50. That is a well cheap site you found there so give yourself a Blue Peter badge for finding it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back