ravenheat diverter

kdp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a slow leak from my diverter valve roughly in the middle between the diaphragm on the left and the 3 way valve section on the right.
The leak is from what looks like a small tube wich connects the diaphragm housing (left) to the 3 way valve (Right), there are holes around its radius.
I have spoken to Ravenheat who advised me to raplace the whole diverter valve assembly. However at £135 + VAT I was hoping there may be a cheaper solution. The boiler is a ravenheat CSI85AT
Can anyone help.

Sponsored Links
you could buy a gianoni valve repair kit which will come with the o ring you need...bit of a job to split them sometimes though.

Thanks for the reply ollski,
Sounds like a great idea. Can you tell me how much it would cost, were I can get one and how much time to allow to do the job.
Also is it advisable to flush the CH water and replace with clean water and Fernox MB1 ? The reason I ask is that ive heard that debri and sludge can cause this type of problem.
My plan is to start early so that I have enough time to buy a new diverter valve assembly if I cant rapair the old one.

Sponsored Links
If its system water leaking then the Gianonni kit will not include the tailpiece which will be leaking.

If its fresh mains water then it does have the small "O" ring required

Tony

Agile said:
If its system water leaking then the Gianonni kit will not include the tailpiece which will be leaking.
Gianonni ® ?

Agile said:

If its fresh mains water then it does have the small "O" ring required

Tony

There are kits to completely refurb a gianoni valve tony, one head and one body. Not sure which bit you mean but if it's part of the valve it will be in one of the kits.

Yes, there are kits for the body, not necessarily that easy to find though and quite expensive and probably hardly worth a DIYer bothering with.

The leaking part is what DP calls a "tail piece". Its the part with the square retaining screws and has the pin seal built in and that cannot be renewed on its own unless you are into pretty heavy metal surgery as the PTFE cylinder is held in by the brass body being pushed over.

Tony

Thanks all,
Ive decided to replace the diverter with a new one. Ive seen some on eBay but the connecter for the coldwater inlet on the diaphram end is in the wronge position.
Would it be a good idea to flush the CH water and replace with clean water and Fernox MB1 ? The boiler is just over 3 years old and the system was flushed when the boiler was installed.
The reason I ask is that ive heard that debri and sludge can cause this type of problem.

If its only the water inlet then that can be rotated to a different position.

However be aware that the connections on the lower manifold parts can be in different configerations.

If the tailpiece seal is leaking then that implies dirt in the water. Therefore anything done to ensure the system water is as clean as possible can only be beneficial.

Tony

I was wondering if I purchased a ravenheat diverter valve which wasnt the correct part for my CSI85, difference being the layout of the connecters are not the same, but internals are identical. Would it be possible to swap the internals with my existing leaky valve ?

there are quite a few on ebay which I could try. They are almost perfect apart from the Diaphram end connectors.

Cheers

richw said:
BES Ltd. sell diverter valves and associated items for much less:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/114.asp

I've not seen them for sale anywhere else at this price.

:rolleyes: This is the best advice on this topic IMO. I wouldnt be pratting about stripping stuff down n that when you can get the right one for the job from there and whack it in for not a lot of money

Its a shame that the BES valves are not of the same quality as the original.
I have heard and experienced them passing to heating even when brand new and its got nothing to do with anything other than the quality of the brass machining on the valve seats.
You get what you pay for unfortunatly so my advice is be careful.

Stan

Spoke to the BES technical expert who told me they dont have a diverter for the CSI 85AT. He did inform me that the diaphram end can be rotated by loosening the two grub screws, these hold the two halves together. Since my boiler is loosing water pressure, the diaphram is probably OK. I think ill replace the lot anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back