Ravenheat LS80, broken

M

Mickymoody

I've had many suggestions, many replies...

My boiler has broken down. Many engineers have visited. One replaced a sensor, one replaced a diaphramn, but left the boiler leaking....one stole stuff from me...

I now need to get this working...I'm told the divertor valve is broken....if the system is turned on, it ****es water out after the last engineer visited, and stole from me...

Are there honest CH repairers out there? One engineer spent all day working, couldn't fix, and left without charging, the other engineer, took all day, replaced a part, but still didn't fix, but stole my multimeter. another engineer replaced a fuse rated at 300ma, with a fuse rated at 4A.....

Why are the bad people destroying the reputation of a good industry?

I honour the person that spend all day working, but could not get it working, I've emailed the manufacturer, and got short shrift.

So good on the engineer that spent time and money to fix, but didn't fix. Then another engineer that stole from me, left me with a leaking machine? Why do that?

What price, to fix a divertor valve? When the diaphram has already been replaced?

I know the price of the part is £75, due to the internet, but been quoted £300 for the repair?

Why would a boiler 'expert' leave me with a machine that leaks water, and turns itself on, when it leaks?

I have raised the money, to pay for repair, so anyone available to fix this? I called two local 'experts', none of which was available.

YOU ARE THE EXPERTS...theres work there. Can you fix it? Or can you diagnose it better?

Sponsored Links
Bump.

You'd think that sooey would be up for it - he can't be far from you ;)

I got the old engineer in, that worked all day, for free, but was unable to resolve....And it turns out that the previous engineer diagnosed the correct problem, the diaphram, but took shortcuts to fit it, by not removing it's housing, and bent the pin that it operates on, on installation.

So a complete strip down of the valve, several times, eventually resolved the issue, bent pin, rather than paying £75 (internet price), or retail price £150 for the divertor valve.

So I've had to pay 3 engineers, to fix something, that the second engineer fixed, then broke.

I suspect any other engineer would replace the valve complete, but this one stripped the valve apart, straightened the pin, made sure it was good, and I jumped straight into a hot bath.

But why are people allowed to operate, that don't know what they are doing fully? And break stuff? The engineer that eventually fixed it had brain freeze at one point, had a discussion about the boiler not working with the case off, then spent ten minutes wonderng why the boiler cut off, until he realised that the boiler had to have the inner case on.

I was expecting a bill of £300....that I had previously been quoted, what bill would I get for a couple of 'O' rings, and 3.5 hours of labour? Maybe more if his son wasn't helping?

Minimum wage is ??? £6? What is a boiler repairmans hourly rate, for fitting a couple of washers?

I know a lot is diagnosing, stripping...so is shelf stacking..

My boiler has broken down. Many engineers have visited. One replaced a sensor, one replaced a diaphramn, but left the boiler leaking....one stole stuff from me...

Stole once.

I now need to get this working...I'm told the divertor valve is broken....if the system is turned on, it p****s water out after the last engineer visited, and stole from me...

Stole twice.

Then another engineer that stole from me, left me with a leaking machine? Why do that?

Stole 3 times.

:eek: :eek:

Maybe post this up in the crumbustion chamber? :p , or maybe yer mates over on the GD forum can help? ;)

Sponsored Links
I cannot post in there, and I don't see why you disseminate my post?

Are you saying to help me? These gas boiler engineers seem to have free reign. AND their own private thread....to steal of everyone else....I don't understand to quote me....

Generally a person earns £7 pounds or such an hour. A Gas engineer gets over £60 pounds an hour, and earns a free exclusive portal, on a website, that nobody else is privvy to?

How to justify that wage? And how to justify a silent thread?

So talk in a thread that nobody else is allowed into, like the Masons club et al?

Nice. No explanation, no justification.

Mick. The gas industry is a cartel made up of semi-literate crooks. Most are clueless. That's why BG is doing so well, they are competing with thieves and idiots. Just fix it yourself.

Mick, its YOU who choose people who could not fix your boiler!

Perhaps you selected them on the basis of being ex-shelf stackers and only charging £6 an hour.

Pay peanuts comes to mind.

Why dont you slag off solicitors, accountants, dentists and all other professional people who charge £60-£300 per hour at their office with no travelling involved as a boiler engineer has.

I charge a fixed fee of £84 to diagnose a boiler fault. If I can usually do that in 30 minutes dont you think thats better value for you than the clowns you chose?

Tony

first time poster on here has joe 90 got an axe to grind and how do you make your money joe be interested to hear from some of your customers .
as for you mick there are lots of reputable engineers out there who do no fix no charge also if you had to pay what we have to in accessments
gas safe fees public liability insurance flue gas analysers and a van load of other expensive kit maybe you can appreciate why we cant work for £7 an hour by the way if your in the trade plumbing i mean do you work for £7 i bet you dont and niether does that tool joe 90
well only just realised ravenheap well serves you right should have paid for decent quality boiler and joe 90 you sound a little bitter did you fail your acs

hey mick hope you have reported all these"thefts" to the police hate to think your being taken advantage of just by chance you the victim of a crime wave by gas engineers who are so greedy they get £60 per hr and still steal from customers sounds a bit over the top maybe you need to read through your postings before you submit them

Mick, its YOU who choose people who could not fix your boiler!

Perhaps you selected them on the basis of being ex-shelf stackers and only charging £6 an hour.

Pay peanuts comes to mind.

Why dont you slag off solicitors, accountants, dentists and all other professional people who charge £60-£300 per hour at their office with no travelling involved as a boiler engineer has.

I charge a fixed fee of £84 to diagnose a boiler fault. If I can usually do that in 30 minutes dont you think thats better value for you than the clowns you chose?

Tony

I'd just like to clarify, the first boiler was a le Blank boiler, something went wrong, it blew a fuse. I called many people that were unavailable in the middle of winter. The person that came, seemed professional enough. He changed a 300mA fuse or such for a 4a fuse, without taking the case off. It was accessible from the front. If I knew that, I would have replaced the fuse myself, for the correct type. He charged something like £30, for 10 minutes work to change a fuse for the wrong type. I called round any every boiler 'expert' recommended this other person, John, and he spent all day trying, and didn't charge me, when he couldn't fix the damage that was done by this stage, by simple incompetence.

The second boiler was installed by Warm front, I had no choice in what make it was. Engineer replaces sensor. Nothing. 2nd engineer changes diaphram, and breaks it when installing it, because apparently you need to the the valve off the machine to do so, and apparently he didn't, thus bending the pushrod, that activates the water on switch, left a valve switched off, thus leaving the machine in a dangerous state, and didn't tighten stuff up, so when the CH was on, the pressure caused the machine to leak. 3rd engineer was John, that spent all day, at my 1st boiler, for free, AND replaced parts in that for free, fixed the curent issue, well done to him for that.

My point is, I have nothing to go off, who is a good or bad engineer, apart from my experience of these rip off merchants, that have not fixed the 2 boilers, but made them worse, by their own mistakes, and there doesn't seem to be any recourse of action against them. OK the 2nd one, the diaphram, cutting corners, but fitting the wrong fuse is criminal.

How can you justify charging £84 for a visit, to fix something very simple? ie a fuse? or a drip?

I don't slag off solicitors or other professional people, because they have never misled me, lied to me, stolen from me, or taken money for a job they claim to have done, but left my household in a potentially lethal state.

I didn't stop some bloke in the street to say fix this, these are professional people, that are advertised to all in the paper, and Yellow Pages. I didn't choose one because he said he was cheap. I chose it because others say, sorry, I don't work on that boiler, sorry. I chose one that said, yup - that's your problem, I'll be right round to sort it.

And there seems to no way to stop these people doing the same to other people? What would Gas safe do? Would they care if they had that or not, as they are clearly incompetent. Obviously the masons on here, all have an impeccable history, and are true to their customers. But in my experience...3 out of 4 are just bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back