Why do I need a new bolier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an annual maintenance contract on my boiler with a local firm. The boiler was cutting out so I reported the problem and they have just come to replace a thermostat.

In doing this they have told me that they have found 3 leaks on the boiler and they suggest it should be replaced at a cost of over £1400. It is a Worcester boiler.

I asked if the leaks could be fixed but they said it would not be cost effective.

They say:

There is a leak on top of the automatic air vent, there is a leak on the divertor valve and there is a leak on the ball fix valve underneath the boiler.

The whole system needs to be drained down, new parts need to be fitted, and then the system fired up again to work, it is a long job

I have googled each of these and find that the costs to replace these parts to be less than £100.

Can anyone shed any light on why I would need to replace the whole boiler for parts of less than £100.

Any help / explanation would be appreciated. I don’t wan to become an expert but I kind of would like a better understanding of why I need to spend such a large amount of money.

:cry:

Sponsored Links
I suppose one good reason would be that they can charge you an annual maintenance fee without maintaining it, and get the profit on a new boiler as well.

Edit: Should have said up front,
No you don't need a new boiler!

It is a Worcester boiler.
That's like saying "It's a Ford"
What model, exactly?

the ball fix valve underneath the boiler.
WHich one - it may matter.

(Bet it's a 24cdi)

Cancel your annual contract ;)

Call in Worcester Bosch for a fixed price repair of £180 including 3 parts I believe:cool:

Sponsored Links
Dave

Thanks for your reply - can you give me any mnore details on what you suggest e.g. phone number etc.

Cheers

I never repair WB, they scare me as I think they are too awkward and always leak afterwards :oops:

Click HERE

Thanks Dave

Just rang them and spoke to a very helpful lady who talked me through it all.

Why on earth are you paying wb for a repair when you have an service contract? They will do a good job, and provided your current cowboys have actually serviced the boiler properly, you should have years left in your boiler.
The bad news is, a leaking aav is almost certainly an indication of corrosion, which means they have NOT done a proper job. Get your money back. And sack ‘em.

I would ring them and say "I have had more qoute's from local firm's and they have told me the repair's are minor and as im covered,you should repair it". I had one last year,a 80 yr old lady,her floorstanding boiler had been leaking,she was with British gas,so they visit her and tell her, her boiler has gone,needs replacing and it will be £3,000 (or around that).They leave with a £1.000 deposit and no heat or hot water,so her son calls me and asks to go and check it is no good.I go and they arrive as i see it iss leaking and stained but the pump is inside the casing and the pump valve is leaking ,nothing else was wrong. Good enough the lads who were about to rip it out ,rang the office and told them about it,i went and got her £1.000 back and it took me 1 min to trighten the valve up

Thanks all that have replies, help and suggestions.

Having spoken to to Worcester (as recommended by Dave) I did ask them for more info on the leaks etc and now they say that it is not urgent to replace the boiler and it can be left as it is! Funny that.

I know this is not always the case but there are some people who see a female and assume that you will just except what is said and write out a big fat cheque for them.

Unfortunately it just makes me very distrusting of anyone.

Elaine not all men are pigs.I am disgusted by this,who see woman as a free ride. I will accept a cheque for this advice £250 thank you

Frank - I know that. The age old problem is how to tell the pigs from the good guys.

They usually cannot hide their excitement when they think they can rip you off.

I to am disgusted by anyone who thinks they can prey on females or elderly :evil:

I'd still like to know what the boiler is!

If e.g. the cold water inlet ballofix type valve is leaking on a cdi, you practically have to take the boiler off the wall to change it.

I agree with Chris.

I love repairing these beasts, but only when I have priced the job.

They are difficult to repair but are FANTASTIC boilers.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back