Need advice on fixing an Ideal Classic boiler

i don't know where i'm going wrong on this one :(

BG engineer was supposed to call me before he attended
never received a call
it was a guaranteed repair. he spent 30 minutes. did 'something' and left saying he would call me
no call ever came
i spoke to BG 3 separate times. on each occasion, the reassured me that the engineer would call me back to give me a report on what the problem was and why it couldn't be repaired
no call was ever received

don't u think i have a right to be upset??
i haven't even mentioned the cr*p and lies BG were telling me afterwards on the phone

@mickyg, i'm glad you are not god as i would be punished unfairly
yes, 10 days have passed. but there are reasons why everything has happened and why the amount of time has passed.

@agile, save £100? yes, i would be interested in saving £100. if there is no difference in buying a product from place abc than place xyz, but xyz costs £100 less, why wouldn't i want to save £100?

in one of the replies someone mentioned that if i went with an approved supplier that i could get 5 years extended warranty - which in that case the saving of £100 should be put into context. (or at least something to that effect was said.) all of that advice is great - and something i wouldn't have been aware of. i was faced with paid £830 at a local shop that were amazingly rude on the phone twice, or buy online and save £100

with regards to being a bad landlord, not everyone in the world is the same. i believe in doing unto others as i would have them do unto me. i believe in karma - what you give, you will get back.

as for suddenly revealing that i was a landlord: i never hid the fact that i was. i'm not sure why this has come under scrutiny?

@joe-90: tell the world or forever be silent
tony's been helpful and has given one number and given a name of another

Sponsored Links
ok, got some pics
the central plate is brown in colour - i assume this was caused by the leak
the leak is stopped now - i think this is what the BG engineer fixed

see below

rFtlTIS.jpg

ExJVRBP.jpg

Hjx61hv.jpg

mcH9Bun.jpg

u35Qdz2.jpg

YH7d8Xd.jpg

GNPVjCb.jpg

8vJEvk6.jpg

lvhXX4U.jpg

XMPNA4t.jpg

bfy2hh7.jpg

all replies have been great (even negative ones!)

if anyone can say it's worthwhile trying to rescue, then i'll consider doing this first

thanks

There is not any real indication of a leak.

You seem to think the BG engineer fixed a leak? If so where was the leak?

The rusty marks can sometimes be caused by condensation in the flue running back into the boiler or even just condensing on the heat exchanger.

These are very reliable boilers, but just not very efficient.

Can you recap on the current position? Whats still wrong with it?

Tony

Sponsored Links
tony, thanks the reply - really appreciate

i'm not 100% sure what's wrong
the BG engineer reported that they fixed all leaks (reported not to me - but in the notes they left that the customer service agents read to me)
i think that part is true - the tenant said that paperwork she had at the bottom of the boiler got wet
(aside: bad idea to keep paper near a boiler?)

my brother (who took the pics for me) said that he could see signs of the leaking - which he assumed had been stopped

the first engineer said that the pcb board needed replacing. he said this was damaged. this maybe the case. but when i looked at the pic given below, the water dropping would have to have had been extensive to cause damage - the board is covered in the matal casing

i spoke to him this morning. he also said that he thought the heat exchanger needed replacing. i looked up prices for this and they're close to £300. which adding the pcb board, would make it more sense to buy a new boiler??

Oh so you are a landlord - the least popular poster on the forum. Watch the help dry up.

I probably have a used but good heat exchanger for that model.

But quite a lot of work fitting it.

So is it not working now because of a PCB fault?

Tony

Oh so you are a landlord - the least popular poster on the forum. Watch the help dry up.
joe, worse than a landlord is troll
u are a troll
in your replies on this thread, u have put down people
when asked to backup ur comments, u have failed to do so
in other replies u have made silly replies that others have questioned the wisdom of

tony, i'll update later. i'm going there myself. i'll know better what the problems are in person

The only time I mention a free visit is to say that I dont make them!

Does anyone know if this FF340 uses the Ideal No. 24 pcb?

I expect I have them in stock.

Tony

joe, worse than a landlord is troll
u are a troll
in your replies on this thread, u have put down people
when asked to backup ur comments, u have failed to do so
in other replies u have made silly replies that others have questioned the wisdom of

tony, i'll update later. i'm going there myself. i'll know better what the problems are in person

Do the right thing and get a new boiler for your tenant. All this messing around is a waste of time.

Agile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only time I mention a free visit is to say that I dont make them!

Tony

I dont see whats lkely to have leaked on this model!
I would go free to someone close by who told me that story. Thats free if that is really the problem but a charge if I diagnose something else.

Tony

The rusty marks can sometimes be caused by condensation in the flue running back into the boiler or even just condensing on the heat exchanger.

Tony

That's along the lines of what I was thinking Tony but maybe the flue leaning back to the boiler and rainwater getting in.

I'd be wondering if one or both of those aavs had found a way to run back through the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back