Need advice on fixing an Ideal Classic boiler

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic boiler
It's broken down :(

I had a boiler engineer inspect
He said some part was leaking and that it had leaked onto a circuit board which now needed replacing

He said that the repair cost would be £200 - £300 - but then there were no guarantees that the problem would then be fixed

He recommended fitting a new boiler
This would cost £600 + £350 fitting + flushing the system for £200

I dont know what to do. I cant afford to have this cost at this moment in time

I called British Gas. They have a few offers:

- £89, including parts if the problem is fixed in 30 minutes
- £230, including parts if the problem takes more than 30 min but less than 2 hours
- £430, including parts if the problem takes more than 2 hours
- £99, including parts, the problem is fixed + I sign up to a maintenance contract costing £23 a month

My thinking is: the last option is the best one for me?

Someone told me that the Ideal Classic boiler is a very basic boiler - as such, not a complex system, so less could go wrong and if it did, it would be easier to fix than other boilers

I thought I'd mention that, in case it had any relevance in deciding what solution to go for

I really dont know what to do :(

Any advice and opinions would really be helpful

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
your Classic will out last any boiler that your plumber can supply for £600, I agree go for the Gteed repair and sign up for a contract for 12 months but be prepared for the sell from the attending BG engineer he will tell you it needs a powerflush and a system filter another option is call Ideal and ask them about a gteed repair, as you say a very simple but decent boiler not much to go wrong with them

i agree keep the classic, its a top boiler.
id also ignore everything your independent engineer has told ya. very unlikely that something has leaked onto the pcb.
why would the bg eng advise on a powerflush then? he's more likely to advise not all the parts are available/new chb (depending on model). :rolleyes:

Thanks guys
One thing I didn't think about was calling ideal
I'll do this tomorrow

Sponsored Links
I dont see whats lkely to have leaked on this model!

Did he say what this was?

Did he even take the case off?

Sounds as if he could be a chancer if he cannot guaranty his repairs!

Another independent might be an idea!

I would go free to someone close by who told me that story. Thats free if that is really the problem but a charge if I diagnose something else.

These are very reliable boilers!

Tony

Not much to go wrong with a Classic!

Only the fan to be honest!

Is the fan spinning freely ?

You say that the boiler is broken down. You didn't mention a leak. Was the boiler leaking?

A fixed price repair from Ideal may be the way to go, unless you can find recommendations for another engineer from friends, neighbours, relatives or colleagues.

And definitely keep the Classic if you can.

update: british gas came round and ******** me around :(

it's actually a long story
they couldnt fix and now i am chasing for a refund
they lied. operators who couldnt give an answer put phone down after speaking for some time :(

it's just been a crappy situation

before then, i called ideal: they said the boiler was too old and that they couldnt fix as they couldnt guarantee getting parts for it

the only option i see is to get a new boiler fitted?
booo hoooo :(

Absolute rubbish you will be able to keep an Ideal Classic going they are decent boilers contact a local GSR who knows these and you will have at least another five years out of the old girl

ok. i think i'll get someone else in and have a look in that case

OM2 - post up your location. Someone here might be able to help.

Plenty of pro's lurk here who are happy to keep Ideals last decent boiler alive.

OM2 good advice from Dan most younger engineers wont have a clue about your boiler but it is a decent model and definately worth looking after

guys, thanks for the replies
the location is: E13 9HJ in Plaistow
anyone near there?

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back