Ravenheat problems - can anyone help?

B

Ballgirl

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and it has a Ravenheat combi boiler. Heats up the water and the house fine but water seems to be constantly coming out of the overflow.

Pressure is between 2-2.5. I've tried bleeding the radiators and this did reduce the pressure but it creeps back up again.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do?

Also I can't seem to get the heating to turn off using the timer thats on the system. Can anyone give me a tip on how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Susan

Sponsored Links
check filling loop closed as could be filling boiler if water still comes out when boiler swithced off blow off needs changing.

Sorry to sound blonde but what does the filling loop look like?

Silver colour flexible braided hose linking two pipes below boiler, with some kind of small silver valve at each end. Valve opened and closed by turning lever or screwdriver slot quarter turn. Off position is at right angles to direction of valve. If screwdriver slot, this must be aligned carefully to 90 degree position.

Sponsored Links
Found the hose but it seems to be slightly off 90 degrees. It wont let me turn it anti clockwise the little bit it needs to be at a 90 degrees angle, should I turn it clockwise by one turn so its at the 90 degrees?
Can I do anything horifyingly wrong by doing this?

While you turn it, water will enter CH system, but since it seems to be doing that already it probably doesn't really matter. Give it a try.

When you think you've shut it, you can check by undoing the flexible hose to see if any water is passing. Be careful in case it is!

Thanks for your help. The pressure seems to be stable at about 1 now whilst the heating and water is on. :D

Anybody have any ideas on the timer now?

It's the timer on the boiler. I've looked at the instructions on the ravenheat webpage but still cant get the timer to switch off the heating.

The time clocks on the Ravenheat combi's are usually the digital type and are prone to breaking down. they cost about 60quid they are slightly smaller in dia than some other cheaper clocks but you can file out the hole in the casing to fit one. A mechanical clock (one with tappets ) should cost about 20. :LOL:

if your heating is working, there is probably nothing wrong with the timer. They can fail, but usually completely. If it is the timer I know, you want to start by resetting the timer (Indented button on right hand side) you will need to do this with a pencil or similar. Once the screen has returned to '0:00'
you can set up the current time and day.

hold the clock button and press the day button until you see the current day displayed on top. hold the clock button and set the current time with the hour and minute buttons. once this is done you can set up the times.

press timer button once. '1 on' will apear, set this to the first call of the day you wish the heating to come on. press timer again and '1 off' will appear. yo can do this up to 6 times in one day. if you wish to set the same time for every day, press the day button after timer to see the days displayed at the top - setup on mon to sun. when finished press clock to return to the current time.

when finished leave the bottom cursor in the middle 'Auto' position..

if you get it wrong don't worry just have a play you can't harm it..you can always reset and start again

Tech 1 - That's exactly what I've done so far. I followed the manual to the letter. If I leave the timer on Auto the heating stays on all day and ignores the times to go on/off that I have set.

It's obviously the timer or possibly the wiring connecting the timer to the boiler.

I've bee thinking about buying a wireless thermostat/programmer does anyone know how easy it is to install?

I've bee thinking about buying a wireless thermostat/programmer does anyone know how easy it is to install?
Very easy to install. You just have to work out how to make the hard wire connection to boiler. Do you have any external controls (e.g. room stat)? If so, you can use same connections. If not, you might need to post here for advice.

No room controls at all, i'm really beginning to hate this boiler!

Any advice on installing a new thermostat and programmer would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a manual downloaded for ravenheat boilers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back