Ravenheat RSF 820/20 Electrical Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

This is a follow on post from my original post earlier today.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194239

It read:
*** START***
I have a Ravenheat RSF 820/20 combi boiler (15+ years old) which has developed a problem. I was made only aware of it today as it's the first day I have felt the need to switch on the central heating.

It has and still is functioning fine when it comes to hot water however select central heating, the light comes on to indicate it central heating has been switched on but thats it. Nothing happens. No noise, no clicks, nothing (The 'hot water only' switch is correctly set to 'hot water/central heating' ).
***END***

I subsequently used the flow chart that 'kevplumb' kindly provided and convinced myself it was the pump. It is the pump but the pump itself is not at fault.

After testing the electrical connection at the pump with a volt meter, it appears the pump is not receiving any power. Two things came to mind, first could the 'hot water only' switch be at fault, i shorted this with some wire but no change. Second I wondered if it was the digital timer. Without purchasing a new timer I don't know how I can check if this is the problem. It appears to work fine, red light comes on when you select central heating, clock working.

So my question is: is my only option to buy a new digital timer (or is there a clever way to test it) or is there some other electrical mechanism that could be at fault.

(I have the engineers manual for the boiler)

(The 'digital timer' was replaced 2 years ago and has been working fine - not convinced it is a original ravenheat part - bought off eBay)

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

OK no need to reply I have fixed it. I shorted wires 3 & 5 going to the timer and it central heating kicked in. So it's the cheap eBay timer at fault (that appears to be working fine). Phew.....

Were you serious about the engineers manual 'kevplumb' as I have it on PDF and will take only a moment to eMail it to you.

Poisonata

bridge timer out its only 4 wires

live and neutral power clock,

other two (black) wires can be temporarily joined bridging out clock giving 24 hr ch demand

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

OK no need to reply I have fixed it. I shorted wires 3 & 5 going to the timer and it central heating kicked in. So it's the cheap eBay timer at fault (that appears to be working fine). Phew.....

Were you serious about the engineers manual 'kevplumb' as I have it on PDF and will take only a moment to eMail it to you.

Poisonata

yup throw it over fella e mail in profile ;)

Thx glasgowgas , basically figured it out 2 minutes before you posted (with the help of a schematic from the engineers manual) but thank you very much for taking the time to replay.

To think I was considering buying a new pump............

kev

lob it over here m8, you have my email

plus my reply was up b4 poisonata`s then got bumped doon one?!! :evil:

give him a thank you button is at the top right

he would prefer a virtual vodka but we have to put up with im for the rest of the night
hahaha-024.gif

Thx glasgowgas , basically figured it out 2 minutes before you posted (with the help of a schematic from the engineers manual) but thank you very much for taking the time to replay.

To think I was considering buying a new pump............

never a problem brother............

or sister!!!

Great, have also eMailed it (with a thank you) to glasgowgas. Hope you find it useful. Fancy a vodka myself after all this...

Thanked both glasgowgas & kevplumb for your forum posts using the button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back