Rawbolt problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to remove a length of steel frame work attached to my garage door by rawlbolts after unscrewing the bolt from the wall and doing what I needed to do, I went to reattach the frame work but find the rawlbolts will not tighten, some 'grab' the thread and screw so far but that's seems to be it.

I always thought you could undo fixings held by rawlbolts, if not, how the hell do I get the rawlbolts fixing out of the wall to fit new ones - I can't put them in a different location because the frame work I refer to has pre-drilled holes (in a box section) and need to be in this particular position

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried giving it a good soaking of WD40? It might work, give them a spray every hour or so then see if they undue 24hrs later.

AFAIK there`s a thingy @ the end that pulls towards the thing being fixed to the wall and pushes the ends of the rawlbolt outwards - like a wedge pulled by the bolt . You could try some threaded rod instead of the bolt - get that screwed in and then run a nut up it

Have you tried giving it a good soaking of WD40? It might work, give them a spray every hour or so then see if they undue 24hrs later.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am trying to do them up having already once undone them.

The problem seems to be that they seem to catch the thread (in so far as I turn he bolt a few times, give it a tug and find it is being held) but it doesn't tighten beyond that which seems odd.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick, if you take them out, will the bolt travel the full distance of the thread? I would spray them with WD40 anyway and ensure they screw in and out smoothly.

Is the bolt coming out without the conical anchor bolt? If so screw the bolt in a few threads and tap it with a hammer to break the compression joint, after spraying it with WD40.

Ok guys thanks all for your help. I've sorted it....

Just in case anyone else has this problem in the future..... it was simply the case that I hadn't pushed the bolt in far enough, and kept pressure on the bolt while screwing it up.

It seems it doesn't like the idea of grabbing the thread and keeping itself held. I had to use some gentle tapping to just push it along, then it seemed to work.

I think if it had just been the case that I was able to screw it in hand tight with my fingers, all would have been well, but being inside a box section, I had to use an extended socket which didn't enable me to add pressure to the bolt end as I was pushing it in, as the bolt did not protrude very much.

So all nice and tight and functioning, but thanks again for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back