Rawlplug Strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over a decade ago (or maybe two), I gave up using individual rawlplugs and started using the long strips (blue/green/red/white, according to dia), which I would cut to size according to requirement. I've always found these much more convenient than individual plugs, and especially useful when the fixing holes were shallow (for example, when I hit an RSJ trying to fix up a lightweight-curtain batten).

But now I can't find them anymore in my local stores. Anyone know what's happened to them? Are there any internet suppliers for these strips?

P.S. I've called them Rawlplug Strips, but I don't actually know if they were made by Rawlplug.

Bill R

Sponsored Links
They are still available, I saw some this week in a local tool shop. I can ask who he gets them from if you wish.

Excellent, didnt know these existed.

Would like to know where to get these too, been looking for some slightly longer than standard plugs.

Sponsored Links
Hmm these would be very handy! Surprise its not readily available. This would solve the problem of when using long screws and brown plugs, will bite to the very end. Perfect.

I can't see the advantage of this 'old tech'

Push it in, trying to cut it flush, having it rotate unless really snug, carrying the long strips, having a unusable bit at the end, using more plug per fixing than is required, costing more per fixing.

As opposed to pushing a plug in.

If a plug is too long, just cut it

I agree with ^woody^. Individual plugs are far superior in performance; I have a few long strips in case of some tricky emergency which a standard plug can't handle, but I haven't used any for 20 years.

Push it in, trying to cut it flush, having it rotate unless really snug, carrying the long strips, having a unusable bit at the end, using more plug per fixing than is required, costing more per fixing.

I just thought these may be handy when you need slightly longer plugs, my house for example has plaster which is so thick the rawl doesnt even make it to the brick. If i want to hang something with a decent fix, I usually drill deep and push one rawl down the hole and then another goes flush to wall.

I just thought these may be handy when you need slightly longer plugs, my house for example has plaster which is so thick the rawl doesnt even make it to the brick. If i want to hang something with a decent fix, I usually drill deep and push one rawl down the hole and then another goes flush to wall.

Or you could use one of these.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fixings-Frame/Frame-Fixers/invt/510000

Or you could use one of these.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fixings-Frame/Frame-Fixers/invt/510000[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes i could.

I promise I will never use rawlplug strips and accept that they are a really bad idea which should never be talked about again

Renounce the evil strips, you will feel cleansed. Now pop off and whip yourself with a scented lettuce as penance.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well, maybe I've had it wrong all this time, but I've always found them much more convenient that individual plugs. One masonry drill, a couple of red wall plug strips, and a selection of No8 screws has pretty much met most of my needs. Drill the hole deep enough for the screw, cut a plug a tad short, tap it in just below flush, and it's done. Occasionally a job might have called for a No6 or No10 and a piece of white or green strip, but I much prefer having a couple of each of these strips in my drill box rather than handfuls of individual plugs. Far less wastage, too, than the extra long plugs I would have left over from the very rare occasion I might need one.

Maybe I should change my ways, but I don't think I am inclined. I'm glad to say I've found one local small DIY which had some old stock left-over, so I bought out his stock - 9 red & 7 white to be precise. In the process, I've discovered they're called Bostik Viking Wall Plugs. The current Bostik website makes no mention of them, so I assume they've stopped making them.

Bilioustrumpstaine, since I need more still, I am interested to know where your toolshop gets them from. Maybe it's the same source as you cited, disinfo? But when you said you didn't like the look of the website, were you just meaning aesthetically, or did you have something more sinister in mind?

Bill R

I just thought the website looked a bit like one of those link farms.

But, after doing the same search on ebay I found that the same people (choicefull) sell them on there too with massive positive feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back