Rayburn plumbing issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house with a solid fuel rayburn with back boiler that does our CH and water. 2 storey house with basement.

The hot water, cold water and CH cistern are all in the airing cupboard on the floor above the rayburn. Its an open system.
The CH is pumped and the pump is on continuously ( not ideal but the least of the probs) and in the basement below the rayburn.

Anyway problems:
1. Air entering the system - i have turned the pump down (grundfos 3 to 2) and this seems to have helped suggesting it was pulling air in as over pumping?

2 the CH upstairs works fine but due to the construction of the house, [partial suspended and partial solid floor] the downstairs radiators at the opposite end of the house to rayburn are served via a pipe dropping down from an upstairs room at the far end of the house. The pipe is T'd off a feed to on of the upstairs radiators.
- I've had problems with getting hot water to them, i can if i a. sacrifice the one upstairs radiators flow and b. turn up the pump to 3 . but I get the air in the system.

A couple of thoughts
Would raising the cold tank and CH cistern into the loft help with the 'over pumping'? I'm thinking of moving the cold tank anyway due to a possible shower installation so any benefit would be worth the effort on the CH .

The problems with the feed to the downstairs radiators dropping down -i'm sure theres a problem at this T junction as i've felt the pipe after and just not getting flow. Is this because the water is dropping from low pressure to high pressure and hence the only solution is pump turned up? Are there any other ideas - or should i try and reroute pipes so they come from the pump in the basement and then stay in the ground floor (which is possible but due to solid floors will be exposed pipe work - hence not something i want to do unless necessary)

Any help appreciated

Matt

Sponsored Links
It is really a job for an expert in solid fuel heating systems to at least look at your system to see what is required.
No chance of getting safe and correct information from anyone without it being seen.
Your system could be all wrong or not done by a heating installer.
I am a heating installer (including solid fuel)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back