Rayburn Royal going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Raybun Royal that has a bubble conversion. I have serviced it myself for the last 14 years and have had no problems, until now, and I would appreciate some suggestions.

The kerosene is fresh.
The filter on the tank outlet is clean.
The control valve is an OCI. I have stripped it down and the metering slot is clear.
The filter for the control valve is clean.
I have checked the fuel level in the float chamber and it is correct.
The fuel level is the correct hight in relation to the base of the burner.
The pipes running to the burner are clear.
I have carried out a flow test and on low and high settings the flow is as it should be.
The burner lights without any drama, and quickly gets up to approx 140-150 degrees c on level 3. There is a nice blue flame.
However after approx 10 hours the temperature starts to drop, the vapouriser starts to cool and then it goes out. The oil feed going into the burner is a bit coaked up following this event. Repeated 4 times and no improvement.
Flue seems to be unobstructed with a good draw.

Sponsored Links
If burner goes out, then it has to be starved of fuel. Do you have a remote capillary fire valve? If so, this may be closing off without latching.

If burner goes out, then it has to be starved of fuel. Do you have a remote capillary fire valve? If so, this may be closing off without latching.
There is one located outside just before feed pipe enter house. Are you saying that these can not close fully but just strangle the fuel supply? It must be returning to full open (assume they would normally have to be reset somehow) as the fuel flow is normal once cold - so a faulty temp sensor?

Is there anyway to test them under these conditions?

Thanks for you reply, I appreciate it.

Move the phial to a cooler position and see what happens. Temporally !!!

Sponsored Links
Move the phial to a cooler position and see what happens. Temporally !!!
A good suggestion. If it proves a faulty fire valve then I just have the challenge of convincing the boss that the rayburn should then be turned off for maintenance after 3 weeks of false promise...oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Just to follow up. Turns out it was indeed the fire valve. Thanks for your help. Normal service is resumed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back