Rayburning question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How difficult/expensive is it to convert a coal powered Rayburn to oil fuel?
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
No it isn't. It'll cost around £600 for a burner, £300 for an oil tank, £200 max for miscellaneous parts, plus the cost of fitting. About £400 for tank installation and £400 for rayburn modification. Say £2000 but allow an extra £500 in your budget. However, in a few years time, you might be glad of a solid fuel version.

I do wish people wouldn't pronounce on matters when they don't know. :rolleyes:

What model rayburn is it ?, do you want a PJ or a vaporizer ?,is the flue lined ?, you need to give us more info !.

lordy ,lordy, i hope its a vapouriser conversion. defeats the purpose otherwise. .big lump of iron..holding heat.........you know the script.

err like an aga.

Sponsored Links
JPH/01 said:
What model rayburn is it ?, do you want a PJ or a vaporizer ?,is the flue lined ?, you need to give us more info !.

If there is a working rayburn there, the difference between pressure jet and vapouriser is not that significant as far as costs go. I assume it was a rough estimate that was wanted, not a fixed price quote.

Mod 9, I'll answer questions posted under a normal forum user name, but not an anonomized Moderator label.

Thank you. I'm glad someone thinks I'm pretty. :cool:

Oilman, thanks for that, very useful! Exactly the type of answer I was after, simple, like me, and now I know a little bit more than I did yesterday!

jph/01, God knows what a vapouriser or PJ is but I am sure I will find out!

Mod9, I didn't want a quote with oilman coming around to do the work, a 'ball park figure between mates in the pub type conversation' was what I was after and exactly what I got, but I wont sue anyone if it's wrong.

I am a complete novice as far as Aga and Rayburns are concerned so any advice or figures will be great. the house already has oil fired central heating so all I need is the extra pipe work and the conversion on the appliance itself.
Regards
JIM :D

Moderator 9 said:
I'll take that as a no.

If you have a more "normal" user name, I'll reply to that. In the meantime I suggest you don't make assumptions, they may be wrong.

In order to protect everyones interest,..........

"Protect everyones interest"??? What does this mean? Are you saying that some business or other is commercially disadvantaged by mention of £££s on this site, which is presented as a DIY site?

...............please read forum rule 9:

9) Please don't ask costs / prices (Ball park figure). Get several quotes, then you will know for sure

This is because it depends on several factors:
Your location, Access to job, material costs, labour rate etc, any prices mentioned should not be relied upon / maybe old prices
Please get several quotes

We went through all this a couple of years ago, read the history. The rule is still there, but it remains as an advisory note not as a commandment. However new mods seem to jump on it to allow them to be seen to be doing something. It's worth remembering there are other forums around.

There is no such thing as an "average" house (since your requirments will be different)

Of course there is, it's mentioned on the news on frequent occasions. It has the average house price, an average electricity bill, an average water consumption, an average occupancy, etc. You can probably ring a government department if you require confirmation.

WEIRDFISH said:
.................the house already has oil fired central heating so all I need is the extra pipe work and the conversion on the appliance itself.
Regards
JIM :D

You MUST have 28mm pipe from the Rayburn if it is a vapourising burner, AND it must be a vented system; so if your existing pipes from the boiler are 22mm, or a sealed system, there will be another thing to consider. If you have a pressure jet burner (which is the type in your boiler), it will not work without electricity, whereas the vapouriser will, but will cost around £15 a week to run.

OILMAN, What about flue lining cost and scaffolding an extra £750 at least, also big difference in cost depending on which conversion kit is used type of cooker etc (regent or suppreme). You need more info before you can start to" guestimate" such a job.

JPH/01 said:
OILMAN, What about flue lining cost and scaffolding an extra £750 at least,

The question was for a conversion of a Rayburn to oil. I answered the question.

also big difference in cost depending on which conversion kit is used type of cooker etc (regent or suppreme). You need more info before you can start to" guestimate" such a job.

No more information is needed for a guestimate, you are confusing it with a "quotation".

WIERDFISH, put your email address on your profile, I'll email you.

Flue lining is a important factor in any conversion, and since scaffolding is now required for most jobs even more important to cost .
Even a guestimate needs to factor this cost in to have any chance of being of any worth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back