RCBO compatiblity....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

In another thread (see link below) a RCBO was mentioned with the link, http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/hager...stic-boards-mcb-50a-rcbo-type-b#.VM_Fz8ZrjmR.

Just about to purchase when I noticed on eBay this one as it is a little cheaper?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAGER-RCB...-FROM-6-50-AMP-Combined-postage-/301077914934

Please can you tell me if this is the same item as it is a few quid cheaper.

I/we do appreciate all your help and advice.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-shower-electrics-info-please.423476/page-1#ixzz3QcAOYcwc

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes it's the right device if you trust ebay enough to know you're not buying a fake device.

Thanks for the reply.

Am I selecting the 50A from the drop down menu on the eBay description please?

Sponsored Links
Wonderful....thanks for the reply.

Thanks to all who have helped my situation.

Gratefully received and appreciated.

;)

Even a slight strain on the terminals of a RCD / RCBO can cause them to malfunction so after fitting we test all RCD / RCBO devices with an RCD tester to ensure they trip in the required 40 ms and before it reaches 30 mA and not before it reaches 15 mA this can't be done with built in test button.

I would think it is unlikely if the RCD part of the RCBO works correctly that there would be any fault with the MCB part of the device. So as long as you do the prescribed tests I can't see a problem.

If however you intend to trust to the lord rather than test correctly I would buy it from a trusted supplier.

Thanks for the additional info, Ericmark.

Interesting reading.

I have bought many an item through eBay and do trust them somewhat.

Once I install the shower, I have an electrician who will visit and fully test the RCBO in situ.

Before purchasing the eBay version I will write to them and ask them if it is a genuine Hagar product. We will see 'how' they answer!

Thanks again to all for the invaluable information.

Hi Merton,

It might have been better to have included your query part of your original topic, rather than start a new one…..

As mentioned above, there are a lot of genuine and a lot of fake goods on Internet auction sites….Caveat Emptor.

I know it may look like you are saving a few quid, but at least you will sleep at night if you use an established supplier (per my link above). You will know then that you are getting a genuine and tested product..

Only a very few years ago, an issue arose from a batch problem with some MCBs from the Electrium Group affecting MCBs for Wylex, Volex, Crabtree, etc consumer units. The MCBs had a fault that could cause them to catch fire. The maker went through a period of providing free replacements for all of those affected.
To obtain a replacement, the supplier's name was required. I rather think that they would have shrugged their shoulders if you said "I bought it off eBay, mate"!

Hello Taylortwocities.

I started this thread as I did ask the latest question in the original query sometime back but didn't get a reply and the topic went quickly down the pecking order.

So I thought I would start a new one to get the necessary attention (to which it did).

The original thread link was included in the opening thread's question for people who didn't know, could get quick access to the whole story.

The eBay company selling the RCBO 'appears' to be pretty trustworthy with a decent positive Feedback????

If I have done anything wrong then please accept all apologies....just needed to know as we have been waiting for answer for a week or so and struggling to get by without a proper shower.

could always source from a local wholesaler to you depending where in the country. They will probably all charge vastly different prices though.

Taylor where do you tend to go for gear

This is the company's website (who are selling the eBay item).

'Appear' to be pretty legit????

I know it may look like you are saving a few quid, but at least you will sleep at night if you use an established supplier (per my link above). You will know then that you are getting a genuine and tested product..
I agree (particularly given that the price difference we're talking about is pretty small), but ...
Only a very few years ago, an issue arose from a batch problem with some MCBs from the Electrium Group affecting MCBs for Wylex, Volex, Crabtree, etc consumer units. The MCBs had a fault that could cause them to catch fire. The maker went through a period of providing free replacements for all of those affected....
Very true.
To obtain a replacement, the supplier's name was required. I rather think that they would have shrugged their shoulders if you said "I bought it off eBay, mate"!
I don't really see that, unless they could prove that the product was not of their manufacture (in which case it probably wouldn't have had the fault, anyway!). If it was a dangerous product which they had manufactured, they would surely be on thin ice refusing to replace it, no matter what the nature of the supply chain, wouldn't they?

Kind Regards, John

Okay...so around a tenner may not be much to some but it when added to the new shower and a Sparky to visit it all amounts I suppose. ... Thank you for all your information and insights. ... It all helps towards us making a final decision.
It's obviously your decision, but at least you've heard some opinions to assist in your decision-making. As with many such 'gambles' there's a very high chance that you will 'get away with it', so it's the possible consequences of your being one of the 'unlucky few' which you have to consider. At least the product you're considering buying is not 'ridiculously cheap' - since it's those which are that obviously arouse the greatest degree of 'suspicion' and concern!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back