RCBO - No functional earth lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I normally buy Wylex RCBO's, but the other day I bought a Proteus(CEF's own brand) RCBO and the first thing I noticed was that it had no 'functional earth lead'. Any idea why this has no FEL? I would have thought that if it was not needed all the leading brands would also not include it.

Sponsored Links
An RCBO's earth leakage function operates on the difference between live and neutral currents. Earth's got nothing to do with that. Nor does it have anything to do with the overcurrent function.

Just as many DP RCDs don't require a functional earth, nor do some RCBOs. It's really about time all RCBOs were constructed not to require a functional earth, as they're a PITA to terminate if you have a lot of them.

Sponsored Links
iirc the functional earth is required on RCDs which use electronics in them for the trip function, usually they are the single width ones where electronics are used to minimise the size however I have seen some (MEM?) normal RCCBs which have them.
It has something to do with the power supply to the RCD should the L-N supply voltage collapse to below 50v under fault conditions.
I believe the MEM RCCBs have N-E voltage monitoring in them where if the voltage between N-E increases above a certain level they trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back