RCD Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I presently have a fuse box, not too old, but fuses nonetheless. I would like to upgrade this. In addition to my domestic load, I have a couple of sheds and a Greenhouse with mains to them (via armoured cable).
I was thinking of:
16 module, 12 way pre-assembled consumer unit. Supplied with switch,100A DP Isolater, 80A 30mA RCD, 2 cover mounted blanks and 10 MCBs. Insulated with floating busbar. 10 year manufacturer's guarantee. BS EN 60439-3.

What I wondered was (stupid as it may sound), what type of circuits/appliances would be put on the 80A RCD side of the consumer unit?

Any guidance appreciated.
Thanks
Tchucter
:)

Sponsored Links
most of them.

its what you put on the non rcd side thats easier

fridge, freezer, lights, alarm.

you connect all downsatirs sockets to rcd in case anything is used in the garden, say electric hedge trimmer, should the unthinkable happen rcd will kill supply before supply kills you.

What is your supply? check in the reference section at top of posts.
If it is TT you would need 2 Rcds 1, 100ma time delay and a 30mamp for your sockets ,etc

Glad to see that all previous responses have not once referred to Part P1ss!

Keep up the Good Works guys.

Ferk em

TT

Sponsored Links
OK Trician. I'll do it, all the work tour proposing Guys falls under Part P and is notifiable works.

I'll bet your just rushing down the council office now to give them money so you can work in your own home ;)

hey sparky. I was given the impression by BCO that as I was not an electrician 16th edit I could not do any notifiable electrics even if I aked them to inspect (as I have done in old days sigh) He reckons it's like gas /corgi and notifiable works ie kitchens can only be done by fullyqualified. Is he right or ???

he's not quite right

under part poo the work either has to be done by a registered domestic installer OR submitted to building control before it is started for aproval and later inspection

ofc it seems almost certain that part P will join the huge list of rarely enforced building regs

i also heared (though i haven't seen it substantiated yet) that they can only do you for building regs violations if they catch you within a year.

He is wrong, all the work may be notifiable, but they have not stated that this work must be done by a qualified person, only inspected and tested by a suitably qualified person.

However I have heard locally that council BCO's are refusing to inspect, pass or OK work that is not done by a qualified Spark. Whilst I sort of agree with their reasoning, at present the law does not support them so they are wholly wrong in this stance.

Thanks to the first replies which gave me the answer I need, I was only asking the question because I am submitting planning for an extension, and as I still have a Fuse Box, I thought it would be a perfect time to get the Electrician (A certified and registered one of course) to upgrade the fuse box. I could easily do it myself but was aware of the Part Peeeeeeeee, so thought I could also save myself the work by getting it done legally, and make sure my house insurance is not compromised. Thanks again, and my apologies for initiating such a debate on Part Peeee.

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back