RCD for lights in one room keeps blowing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An RCD for the lights in one of my rooms has just blown. The room has 9 low voltage halogen bulbs.

I reset the RCD and turned them on again. Pop and one of the lights flashes as the RCD blows.

I take the bulb out which has a spot of black charring on the back, change it and reset the RCD and try again. Same thing but now the light switch won't switch.

What's going on?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
is there one transformer that feeds them all?
is it a normal light switch or a dimmer?

prbably one of the transformers has gone short circuit or melted the blocks behind and causing a short circuit and the short has in turn blown the light switch.

Sponsored Links
you will need to drop each light and hopefully see melted blocks / cable and you will need to replace the switch after you find it, it probably wont be the light you saw coming on

prbably one of the transformers has gone short circuit or melted the blocks behind and causing a short circuit and the short has in turn blown the light switch.

I am guessing it will be the transformer for the light that flashed (and charred) when they went out.

no i doubt it will be that one, if you cant see something obvious it will be a transformers which will be a bit of trial and error unless you have a multi meter to check each one, look for melted cables first :(

no i doubt it will be that one, if you cant see something obvious it will be a transformers which will be a bit of trial and error unless you have a multi meter to check each one, look for melted cables first :(

Will change the transformer (I have a few spares knocking around) and switch then hold my breath / call out a professional.

Much thanks

good luck, remember the switch may need changing if its "blown" and doesnt feel right when you operate it.
have any of the spots been going on and off by themselves pointing to a dodgy transformer?

Yeah, the switch as well.

No the lights have been fine. Not even a blown bulb for ages now. In another room a couple of transformers have blown. Might get round to doing them at the same time.

were the lights on when it blew? this might point to a melted cable

They were.

If it is a melted cable is there an easy way of pin pointing where it is? If not, I presume it could be a big job to locate it.

well it will have been melted by one of the lamps or a loose connection so it will not be too far from the light, but you will have to take down each light in turn i`m afraid

Please get rid of the downlights.

Extra low voltage doesnt mean extra low energy. A watt is a watt, regardless of the voltage.

You will always have these troubles with halogen downlights. Transformers are knocked out at a rate of thousands, quality control is poor for most brands.

The same goes for lamps - most people wreck transformers by fitting cheap lamps (B&Q own, Asda etc), which when they fail will pull a huge surge current which ruins the transformer and the switch, especially when its a dimmer.

If you really want to keep the downlights, use Osram or Phillips lamps (they are more expensive but they wont blow transformers as often).

Even better would be to use LED lamps, which last for decades and use only a few watts each. Change to mains voltage too, scrap the transformers, they are one more thing to go wrong, and you dont need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back