RCD or RCBO types for an inverter heat pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'm looking for some guidance on RCD/ RCBO selection for heat pumps. The heat pump manual states:

The RCDs follow the standards and regulations but may be not applicable for heat pumps that have high frequency ampere peaks caused by the inverter technology.
Therefore, RCDs need to be specified beyond the standardized 1 kHz.

Then offers some suggestions of suitable types:

Usage of RCDs type B specified > 1 kHz and short-time delayed.

The problem can be avoided by the selection of the right RCD.

Tested brands:

BrandTypeSpecifications
ABBType B
Type B
Type B+
2pin 40A 0.03A
2pin 63A 0.03A
2pin 63A 0.03A
DoepkeType B SK
Type B NK
2pin 40A 30mA
2pin 40A 30mA
Schneider ElectricType B SI
Type B SI
2pin 40A 30mA
2pin 63A 30mA
SiemensType B
Type B
2pin 40A 30mA
2pin 63A 30mA
LegrandType B2pin 40A 30mA

The main problem is nuisance tripping.
I work on these heat pumps, so am looking for some help identifying suitable/ unsuitable breakers when visiting sites for tripping problems.

Sponsored Links
I know you can get linked RCD and MCB so work like a RCBO, but not seen any single width RCBO's other than type A or AC.

I know with EV's they use type A and a unit to auto disconnect if over 6 mA DC, but not sure if there is a type F that is also type A?

Therefore, RCDs need to be specified beyond the standardized 1 kHz.
That means it must be Type F as a minimum, optionally Type B or B+ assuming that an RCD is needed at all.

A heatpump as a device does not require any RCD, however the circuit to it might, but that depends on how the circuit is installed.
Entirely possible to have the circuit installed so that no RCD is needed.

but not sure if there is a type F that is also type A?
All Type F include the equivalent of Type A, which all include AC.
Type B includes F, A and AC.

That's what I understand, that as a fixed appliance a heat pump does not have to have an RCD.
Does this change if its a TT supply?
Design of the circuit I leave to the sparkies!

Sponsored Links
Does this change if its a TT supply?
In most cases a TT supply will require RCD protection for all of the circuits.
If an RCD was required because of that, then it would have to be selected based on what type of loads were connected to it.
The same applies to a TN system where the circuit is installed in a way which requires RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back