RCD protection requirements for Electric Hob, oven and lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent electrical safety test has been failed due to above and remedial action has been recommended to install rcbo starbreakers in above circuits.
The wiring is older than current specs and there is a consumer unit with circuit breakers. Both oven and hob have isolator switches fitted into the tiled wall above the worktop beside them.
This installation passed UK electrical safety test in 2019.
Has something changed in requirements?
The test was carried out with a tenant in place who has since given notice and left.
I am not planning to re-let as am moving back in myself.

It would be great if someone can enlighten me as to what may have changed in 5 years.
TIA

Sponsored Links
You need to read the best practice guide No 4 issue 7

Those codes are C3

If you are not letting again you don’t need a satisfactory report either

Last edited:
Thanks, They have put these down as C2 plus a broken socket as C2- I have not even noticed the socket and will check when I go there tomorrow. The agents have charged me £150 deducted from rent payment for the inspection and the inspection document they sent after I had to request it is marked as a draft.
Update - no broken socket anywhere

Last edited:
The circuits on the left are the ones they say need rcd breakers. Am I allowed to purchase and replace these myself - assuming they just plug in?
Or am I missing something here?

?
Consumer box showing rcd requirements.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The circuits on the left are the ones they say need rcd breakers. Am I allowed to purchase and replace these myself - assuming they just plug in?
Or am I missing something here?

?View attachment 335612

As stated in my earlier post those do not need to have RCD protection

Have you read the best practice guide No 4 issue 7?

Am I allowed to purchase and replace these myself - assuming they just plug in?
Anyone competent is allowed to replace them, and while that type does plug into a busbar inside, there is still the circuit wiring to connect, and if replacing with RCBOs there is rather more involved as wiring inside the consumer unit will have to be altered.

That style was also the subject of a safety recall some years ago.

It would be great if someone can enlighten me as to what may have changed in 5 years.
Lighting circuits in domestic properties require RCD protection.
So do most cables concealed in walls, which ultimately means almost all circuits require RCD protection.
Those on the left side so not have RCD protection.
Those on the right do, but it's a type of RCD which is no longer permitted for socket outlets.
Consumer units need to be metal, rather than plastic.

Any upgrade there is realistically a new consumer unit.

You can keep what you have got for as long as you want, but adding or altering any of the circuits connected to it won't be happening.

Back