RCD question

Arcs in a live conductor (including neutral) can and do cause RCDs to trip, possibly the amount of noise they put on the system somehow getting grounded by a surge arrester somewhere on a circuit.
RF had a video somewhere

Sponsored Links
No. sorry - not playing your game.
It's not a game. I can't answer your question since it should be apparent to anyone who understands how an RCD works that that a 'poor neutral connection', per se, simply can't cause an RCD to operate. If you believe that statement to be incorrect, you'll have to explain why, since I haven't got a clue why/how it could be incorrect.

Kind Regards, John

Arcs in a live conductor (including neutral) can and do cause RCDs to trip, possibly the amount of noise they put on the system somehow getting grounded by a surge arrester somewhere on a circuit. RF had a video somewhere
Yes, I've seen that video. It's one of those 'esoteric' mechanisms I was referring to ... but that would require an intermittent connection, not simply a 'poor' one. I suspect that it’s more to do with the noise messing up the RCD’s electronic’s than actually creating a genuine L-N imbalance (even if only transiently) which gets detected. Having said that, as I said, I'm certainly not ruling out a damaged/faulty socket as one possible explanation for what the OP is experiencing.

Kind Regards, John

Bet you a quid it's a spur from the cu and the neutrals in the wrong bar...

Sponsored Links
Bet you a quid it's a spur from the cu and the neutrals in the wrong bar...
I certainly would not bet against that - as I recently wrote:
However, I must say that the recently proposed mechanism is more than possible. Although I didn't initially twig what was being suggested, since this socket is close to the CU. it's possible that it is not part of the ring but, rather has been wired as a spur directly from the CU, with the neutral connected to the wrong bar. That would cause the RCD to trip every time that one socket was loaded.
However, EFLI's suggestion of a N/E swap at one or other end of the cable would also do it (even though I've never really understood how people can be so daft as to do that!).

Kind Regards, John

Some sockets do have the earth terminal in the plastic block which makes daftness a little easier although I have discovered it in 'normal' sockets.

Some sockets do have the earth terminal in the plastic block which makes daftness a little easier although I have discovered it in 'normal' sockets.
They do, but I have personally very rarely seen them - most are 'normal' and the the earth terminal in them is so obviously different from the other two that two that to get it wrong must require either extreme daftness and/or a virtually total lack of understanding of even the most basic of things electrical!

Kind Regards, John

[(even though I've never really understood how people can be so daft as to do that!).
Thoug not domestic, have you experienced fitting ELECTRAC sockets
No, I haven't (my experience of things non-domestic is next to zero). However, I have very occasionally come across sockets such as EFLI described, with the earth terminal within the plastic moulding, hence not looking much different from the other two. I've also dealt with ones like this:
... in which, if one doesn't understand colours, the earth terminals look much the same as the others.

Kind Regards, John

Do you know what brand that socket is john?
I have some in my cellar which I took out of service (simply because they were no longer required, during some rebuilding) several years ago. The only marking they bear is "RPP" (as well as "PROV PAT" and "Made in England"), if that means anything to anyone. They bear no reference to BS1363 (or any other Standard), but they appear to have standard shutters.

I have no idea as to whether any similar items are still available - I certainly haven't seen any. Although I realise that there are 'pros and cons', I personally very much liked the idea of paired terminals (i.e. just 'one conductor per terminal' in simple parts of a ring or radial circuit).

Kind Regards, John

They are RPP brand. Redditch plastic products. It's one of city electrical factors' own brands. Think they have now been replaced by the M2 brand which still have the same style terminals.

They are RPP brand. Redditch plastic products.
Thanks - that would explain why they are marked "RPP" :) I must say that I'd never heard of that brand.
It's one of city electrical factors' own brands. Think they have now been replaced by the M2 brand which still have the same style terminals.
That's interesting. What do you think of that style of terminals?

Kind Regards, John

Personally I don't like them especially if you have 3 cables at one socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back