RCD socket outlets

• Thread starter sparkyspike
  • Start date
S

sparkyspike

As many of you will know, in North America they use RCD socket outlets which also protect all downstream socket outlets.

Is there anything similar available in the UK, or for use in the UK?

At present we are limited to using 13A RCD FCUs, an RCD at the CU or individual RCD outlets.

I am guessing that it is not available because it could mistakenly be installed as part of a ring final which would defeat the object, but was just wondering.

?

Sponsored Links
As many of you will know, in North America they use RCD socket outlets which also protect all downstream socket outlets.

Is there anything similar available in the UK, or for use in the UK?

IMO it would lead to confusion. I dont think DB RCDs are as widespread in america, this is why they use these sockets with downstream protection. I dont see why you'd want to protect only part of a circuit. Just run another circuit. And how would you go about testing?

It's true that in the US, CU RCDs are less common and hideously expensive.

There are definitely applications for the downstream protecting sockets - on many occasions I've been wrestling with module boxes or cutting in FCUs where I could have simply changed a DSO. It would work on radial sockets and on rings as a spur. And testing would be no problem.

I'm talking mainly about jobs where RCD protection is required but the client hasn't the budget. How many times have you looked at a Wylex rewireable CU and realised that the simple job you came to look at was now going to take all day?

Anyway, I take it you've never seen one of these devices?

1. How many times have you looked at a Wylex rewireable CU and realised that the simple job you came to look at was now going to take all day?

2.Anyway, I take it you've never seen one of these devices?

1. Never, im not a spark.

2. Yes, a GFCI socket, but im guessing they look the same whether they have downstream protection or not.

Sponsored Links
It's true that in the US, CU RCDs are less common and hideously expensive.

No more so than an MK or Crabtree RCBO here though. Just looking at a supply catalog which is a couple of years old now, but gives the following comparisons:

Thomas & Betts, regular single-pole 15A breaker $2.91, GFCI version $26.43.

Cutler Hammer/Westinghouse BR series, regular 15A $3.58, GFCI $32.94.

By comparison though, the feed-through GFCI receptacles are considerably cheaper, e.g. Pass & Seymour 15A duplex with 20A feed-through capacity, $7.95 each.

1. How many times have you looked at a Wylex rewireable CU and realised that the simple job you came to look at was now going to take all day?

2.Anyway, I take it you've never seen one of these devices?

1. Never, im not a spark.

2. Yes, a GFCI socket, but im guessing they look the same whether they have downstream protection or not.

Steve, I wasn't having a go. I'm simply making enquiries.

1. I was aiming this comment at working sparks.
2. I was talking about a UK version of the feed-thru GFCI. Have you ever seen one?

I can see with electricians able to sign their own completion certs than a RCD CU is likely the best option.

However with the DIY man and the cost of LABC inspection adding £100+ to any installation when there is a CU change the use of Ali-tube cable seems the easy way out.

Yet I have as yet to see Ali-tube cable on sale in the DIY sheds. Which leads me to support the movement to Ban all Sheds as they only seem to be out to make money and don't seem to provide the DIY man with what is needed with his limited ability to undertake jobs without registering under Part P.

Sparkyspike, I apologise if my post earlier seemed a little . . . harsh. It wasn't intended in this way but looking back it does appear so!

Those Americans with their wacky ideas eh! Whatever next! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back