RCD test fault

I believe i may have found the issue. I changed my test leads for another pair and it wasnt working just i got the 1999ms reading yet 2 minutes ago with the different leads it tripped fine.
Ah - that seems to fit. So I wasn't too wrong in being very suspicious of the meter (or its leads!) :)

Is there a fuse in the suspect lead?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There isnt a fuse. I did suspect these leads were faulty a few weeks back i had a few dodgy readings on an insulation test but when it came back from the calibration with everything ok I obviously thought they were ok.

There isnt a fuse. I did suspect these leads were faulty a few weeks back i had a few dodgy readings on an insulation test but when it came back from the calibration with everything ok I obviously thought they were ok.
Fair enough. It sounds as if those leads need to be 'retired'!

Kind Regards, John

I've never seen calibration tests done, nor the equipment used for it, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't use leads of known characteristics which are part of the test equipment.

Sponsored Links
I've never seen calibration tests done, nor the equipment used for it, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't use leads of known characteristics which are part of the test equipment.
That could well be the case. In any event, the OP clearly has at least two sets of leads, and, even if his meter was tested/calibrated together with one of his sets of leads, we don't know which set.

Kind Regards, John

As far as I'm aware your own leads don't get touched when the meter is calibrated
As I (and BAS) said, that seems pretty probable, and would obviously explain why the calibration procedure did not pick up the problem with the OP's leads.

Kind Regards, John

I had the tester calibrated at a different place last year and they told me i needed new leads which are now the faulty ones. So they must have tested my leads then

I had the tester calibrated at a different place last year and they told me i needed new leads which are now the faulty ones. So they must have tested my leads then
Maybe, if you present them with leads as well as the meter, they (or some of them) inspect/test the leads separately from testing/calibrating the meter?

Kind Regards, John

What reading would you get if you probed the LIVE side instead of the LOAD side.

Years ago I wondered why the RCD wernt tripping, before realising :oops:

What reading would you get if you probed the LIVE side instead of the LOAD side.
You obviously would not get a trip time (or current), since it wouldn't trip - you'd just get something like the OP's ">1999 ms" (or something like ">300 mA" for trip current), or some error message!

Kind Regards, John

I've had my leads failed and my tester passed at calibration.

The leads take a lot of hammer especially at the end terminations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back