RCD testing on minor works or installation certificates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had one supply altered to a FCU and two double sockets fitted all from the same supply which is an UPS, not sure on the reasons why, but instead of a RCBO as I would have expected I have two type A RCD sockets and a FCU, the latter is the reason to query.

I did not realise until after they had left, it was a standard switched FCU feeding the boiler, not a RCD FCU, if there is no RCD before this, then that means the thermostats, relays, pumps, motorised valves, and boiler are not RCD protected. It may well be there is a RCD in the inverter that feeds the sockets and FCU, but the question is will that become apparent once the documents arrive?

I don't want some unsuspected guy servicing my oil boiler to come to grief due to missing RCD, I had expected the boiler to have had a plug and socket fitted, allowing me to revert back to standard socket should anything go wrong with the inverter, as I can with the freezers, when I saw the FCU and that it was not a double socket so I could also plug in the back kitchen freezer, I thought about it, and thought well likely I will move the fridge/freezer anyway, so I will just spur off the FCU once I know where the freezer is going, OK I know notifiable but cost of getting a scheme member electrician to do the job, will not be that much, so hardly worth worrying about.

But the fact that there is no longer a single point of isolation for whole house, means there is a possibility that the wrong FCU could be switched off by some one servicing the boiler, so there is a real danger that a plumber, clearly an electrician will always prove dead, but a plumber could turn off the wrong FCU, if he did would I as the home owner be libel?

But could be worrying about something which does not exist, there may be a RCD I am unaware of, so with the old forms I use to use there was not really a provision to enter multi RCD disconnection times for one circuit, has this changed?

Sponsored Links
Do they have to be?
Not sure, last BS 7671 I got was the 2008 edition, I have noted some changes, but SWA cable to front kitchen so that's OK, and surface trunking between the two sockets, so in the back kitchen seems to be T2 trunking from under the counter, but once it goes into the boiler than to the thermostats, pumps, and motorised valves I don't have a clue how the wires are routed in the main, but in the wall cavity to the thermostats at least.

Less worried about regulations, more worried about the wrong supply being isolated, and with every other circuit being RCBO protected it seems wrong to have one without it. It is around £20 for a RCD FCU so not expensive to change, but maybe there is one in the inverter? So wonder what paperwork will show?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back