RCD tripped - ground floor sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for some advice please.

I was away for a few weeks, my family came to stay a couple of weeks in and found the ground floor electrics had gone out. RCD had tripped with all downstairs electrics. The only items I’d left plugged in and on were smart meter, fridge and boiler.

Isolated the problem to living room /hallway sockets (kitchen was fine), as RCD wouldn’t turn on with ground floor sockets switched on. Unplugged everything and still no fix.

Then had an electrician come out - not 100% clear on the exact issue as second hand information via my family. Said the issue was two sockets at the back of the living room. What he told my family was there was too high a current running through them. When took the sockets off he found one had a ‘burnt’ cable which he tried to follow down to isolate cause but wasn’t able to without having to take the floorboards up.

I’ve contacted him again for some more information regarding what exactly he thinks the issue is. He sent me a video and said the live wire was connected to the earth wire. I believe he’s disconnected the two sockets, the other sockets in the living room are now working.

Can anyone advice on
- Is the situation safe for the moment with him having disconnected the two sockets (I don’t want a fire to start)
- What could be the cause? I recently moved to the house 9 months ago with no electrical issues until now. The house was completely rewired 9 years ago and have electrical certiticates from the time and we haven’t had any renovation done nor did previous owners.
- What might be needed to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Cut off the burnt wire and re-terminate in the back box. I doubt the earth wire was connected as such but it may have been /become loose when the socket was removed. The electrician should have been able to do some basic rcd, continuity and insulation resistance tests without taking up the floorboards so I would ask for a second opinion

Blup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back