rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do lights in the garden in around my trees need rcd protection?

bigbob

Sponsored Links
bigbob said:
do lights in the garden in around my trees need rcd protection?

bigbob

No. - Unless you have to plug them into a socket.

wether they are plugged into a socket or wired direct thru an FCU doesnt change the chances of them havin a fault and giving someone a shock, or change the chances of someone puttins a spade thru the cable

Sponsored Links
LMAO - Two very different answers from one extreme to the other!

No they dont, unless, as stated, they are fed via a plug and socket of 32amp rating or less!

Lectrician said:
LMAO - Two very different answers from one extreme to the other!

No they dont, unless, as stated, they are fed via a plug and socket of 32amp rating or less!

but we dont know the exact situation, since OP didnt tell us, so better safe than sorry and say RCD... for all we know they could be wired with bell wire run along the top of the grass/path...

But then it would be the bell wire that doesn't comply...... ;)

You may aswell tell all diyer's to install an RCD to all circuits they alter......who knows what they may do... :LOL:

Fixed outdoor lighting does not require an RCD, regardless of weather it is installed well or not.

Lectrician said:
Fixed outdoor lighting does not require an RCD, regardless of weather it is installed well or not.

but when did he says it was fixed? (or portable)...

Lectrician said:
And when did I say his was ?!? :cool:

you didnt, but like i said, unless we know all the details, we cant give an accurate reply

An if/unless answer is accurate in my opinion :confused:

Don't wanna start an argument though ;)

thanks for your replys i will be extending the downstairs lighting circuit out into the garden using swa to permanent light fittings in my garden and not protecting with rcd. sound good?

I would not recommend you extend the downstairs lighting circuit, it would be better on its own circuit. Are you using MCBs?

Disconnection time fixed equipment with exposed conductive parts (unless it can be guarenteed class 2 fittings) located outside which may be touched by someone in contact with the general mass of earth is 0.4s. For a circuit breaker the max efli for a disconnection of 0.4s is the same as for 5s, for fuses the disconnection times differ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back