RCDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. I’ve a consumer unit with a built in RCD so was wondering if I have an outside plug in the garage I’d need to use either a plug in RCD or have a socket with RCD built in.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There is no need for a second RCD, but it would do no harm - commonly known as belt and braces.

Either or both might trip with a fault.

Quick question. I’ve a consumer unit with a built in RCD so was wondering if I have an outside plug in the garage I’d need to use either a plug in RCD or have a socket with RCD built in.
Thanks for your help

No need. Waste of money in fact.

Sponsored Links
Beware some consumer units are "split load", ie there are two sides/halves to it. It's quite common for one side/half to be RCD protected but not the other side. Check whether yours is all RCD protected or not.

If you press the test button in the rcd and the socket stops working, you know it is rcd protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back