consumer unit change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a bit of advice if possible. changing old consumer unit to a new type which has a built in rcd. already have a separate rcd in circuit before consumer unit. is it okay to have 2 rcds in or do i have to get rid of the seperate one? cheers

Sponsored Links
Unless the existing RCD is time delayed, then it won't discriminate with the one in the CU (hint: a tell us what it says on it ;) ) most consumer units are split load and only have RCD on half of it, if you had RCD for everything before, you have got to ensure that you don't actually need rcd on all circuits (Eg. if the supply if TT) (a picture of the intake would be useful here)

also are you familiar with

Isolation of consumer units
Testing of electricial installations (IR, EFLI, RCD...)
Part P

?

earth is from sheath on incoming supply cable to small earth jb then one of to gas meter one off to consumer unit . the rcd has following writing 63a has 2pol next to this and 0.03a. sorry at this moment unable to get photo sorted out. if any probs ill get someone out. at moment consumer unit is only a 6 way wylex with mcbs which have been upgraded from fuse type.i'll prob get photo and take it into local elect shop. i understand you carnt work blind. cheers

Your local electrical shop wont give you advise if they think you dont know what you're doing, and by the sounds of it, you dont. No offence intended.

Changing a consumer unit is more than just fixing it to the wall and swapping everything over. You need to test every circuit, and with modern protective devices, they are more sensitive than older fuses, and you may find faults you didn't know existed before. The earth also needs testing, no good saying "yes, its connected", you need to know the value of its resistance in order to select the correct circuit protective devices.

Notifiable to your local council under part p of the building regs.

If you dont understand any of the above, please get an electrician, for yours and your family's safety.

Sponsored Links
:D :oops: :evil: :rolleyes:

Sorry folks!

Just showing my sleepless boy how the funny faces work!

securespark said:
:D :oops: :evil: :rolleyes:

Sorry folks!

Just showing my sleepless boy how the funny faces work!
aren't you teaching him about the wonders of domestic electrical installations too? Dont you want him to take after his olde dad? ;) :LOL:

hi steve from what you've said you' already got a 30ma rcd so another is totally unecessary, Wylex with mcbs totally ok.(but is there any earth sleeving anywhere?) does sound like you need to upgrade earth bonding to gas and water though, ought to be 10mm.

stevewark said:
... at moment consumer unit is only a 6 way wylex with mcbs which have been upgraded from fuse type...

This is going to be a Wylex standard, might even be a brown one. Main switches are mostly 60Amp; some have undersized earth and neutral terminals, some have exposed incoming live parts inder the cover, most are pretty long in the tooth by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back