Re fibreglass roof topcoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Guys, my fibreglass roof , 10 years old, has two bits, about an inch square where birds have pecked the topcoat off, down to the resin.
It is not leaking, but I want to repair the grey topcoat, just on those spots, not the whole roof!
Do I need to apply new matting on top of existing topcoat, after sanding down, or, can I just apply a bit of new top coat? Or gel?
The kits I,m looking at online, differ, some have topcoat, some not.
Same with acetone.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I have applied a aluminium tape as a temporary measure ,12 months ago,and wire net, as birds keep pecking tape off.

Sponsored Links
When mine was chipped by a falling roof tile the original firm repaired it. They gave it a light sanding followed by new matting then grey topcoat. He said the patch might come loose round the edge but 5years later it hasn't and has blended in nicely.

When mine was chipped by a falling roof tile the original firm repaired it. They gave it a light sanding followed by new matting then grey topcoat. He said the patch might come loose round the edge but 5years later it hasn't and has blended in nicely.
Hi, thanks for reply.
Just spoken to a firm, and said, sand down, acetone it, and apply new topcoat/gel, no need for resin, as it,s ok!
For the amount I need , a cup full will be enough.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back