Re-installation of lighting in new false ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

is there a guide to show how best to go about re-installing the original lights in a new ceiling? I've been told that I would be best to attach the existing wiring above the plasterboard prior to the plasterboard being installed, then cut holes in the required places, and finish the installation...

Again, as per my other thread, do the holes get cut prior to the plasterboard being skimmed, or after?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
Plasterers prefer not to skim over holes.
If they are downlights its best to cut them afterwards, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE you know where they are to be located.

You don't say if the lights are recessed downlights, or ordinary surface fittings/ceiling roses.

Downlights need wiring put in place before boarding, a plan of where they should go should be drawn first. The holes can be cut before or after skimming; depends how confident you feel about cutting these holes.
Where you have rows of downlights, a chalk string-line should be used, to get them in line.

Ordinary light fittings or ceiling roses will require the wiring to be pulled through the plasterboard, before skimming, as you will struggle to find the cables later on. Keep the wiring near a joist, or fit wooden noggins, to provide a decent fixing for the lights. Fit lights after skimming.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - the lights in question are GU10 down lights.

So I assume the recommended course of action, is to work out where the lights will be required, and then tape the wires in the almost the right places prior to skimming, so that the wires can be pulled through for attaching the fittings?

Thanks
Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back