Re-laying engineered T&G (short edge damage)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to lift our engineered flooring and unfortunately most of the short/tip edge tongues came away in the process - however, the long edges remain. It's a floating floor over chipboard.

Will it be possible to re-lay (maybe 'secret' screw or any other way) or will this be a mess? I've got 2 large room's worth of the stuff and an already strained budget, so reluctant to scrap it!

Sponsored Links
To secret nail it or glue it down you will need to ply the subfloor.

With the short lengths broken, you are in the hands of the 'expansion gods' as to wether the floor will open up.

Thanks daze - is the ply required for stability or for the secret screws to hold?

If I have to ply it may not be worthwhile, I'm at the mercy of expansion, glue not holding, not to mention sanding & varnishing after. Seems a shame to toss 50sqm though :(

Sponsored Links
The ply would be for the nails to hold or the glue to grip, chipboard does not have the structural integrity to hold either the nail or the glue grab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back