RE: Lighting circuits. Need advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I'm back again in search of more advice.

My project is going well.

I've done some of the wiring work on it and a spark has come and is happy.

The next stage is relating to lighting. Once I've got the advice here I'll one again consult a spark and have him check it over or help or what ever is needed.

I've done a epic MS paint diagram to show the current installation.

The thick orange vertical line represents a new wall. So now one large room has become two rooms. A pair of 2 way light switches for the two existing ceiling lights is depicted. The image describes the circuit and not the actual wiring path.

Switch X & Switch Z are both 2 way switches.

The Wall light (blue circle) is to be added.

As it's now two rooms; removing the 2 way system is probably better. Can I still use a 2 way light switch for a 1 way system though?

Ideally; Switch X will become a single; 1 way switch to operate ceiling light A.

Then; switch Z will remain a double switch with a 1 way circuit to operate Ceiling light B and the new wall light.

Is this sound thinking? Or am I overlooking something?

doke.png

Thanks
-Kane

PS. A question I meant to ask the spark before and forgot. Is it safe to encase twin and earth wiring for lighting and electrical sockets (separate circuits ofc) inside hardwood instead of the plaster/brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Although the cables with two way can go through lamps.
Alt-two-way-wiring.bmp
this is rare the normal is simply switch to switch
two-way-real.bmp
so one switch will likely work both lamps without a problem but the other switch is likely going to require re-wiring to do anything.

Basic thing is two way master the switch wires would go to L1 and L2 but with simple switching it will go to com and either L1 or L2 swapping L1 and L2 will swap if switch up or down for on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back