Re-lining chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My chimney is currently lined with a class 2 liner for my gas fire. I am hoping to have a multifuel stove installed. I am purchasing the new liner and installing it myself as I do not want to pay £stupid.

I am aware that I need to notify someone, but who, and how, and what's it going to cost me??

Thanks all

Jon

Sponsored Links
You can DIY but you need to know the Building Regs (which changed in October), submit a Building Notice & pay a fee. Your LABC will inspect &, assuming everything is OK, issue a compliance certificate; the BI may want to witness smoke & spillage tests.

Lots of archive threads on this, & other things you have to watch out for, here a few links for you to read:
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html
http://www.hetas.co.uk/public/certificates.html
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/buidling_regs_consumer leaflet.pdf
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183614
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242738
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751

& some more sobering just in case you think it’s all a load of old tosh:
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/main_pages/news.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html

Also get at least 3 quotes from local independent HETAS installers:
http://www.hetas.co.uk/nearest_member

You might be pleasantly surprised & you should ask yourself if you really want all the hassle & risk getting it wrong; climbing onto the roof with an 8M stainless steel snake on your back is not for the feint hearted!

I was told by the fireplace shop (Artisan, Brighouse) that it may cost around £800. I was not, as you can imagine, 'pleasantly' surprised with this figure! I had it lined 4 years ago with class 2 for my gas fire, materials and labour inc £300.

I've checked the prices online for the liner req'd for a multifuel, and i can't see why having it done would be £500 more expensive. Stack is approx 11m and straight up, no bends.

Jon

I was told by the fireplace shop (Artisan, Brighouse) that it may cost around £800. I was not, as you can imagine, 'pleasantly' surprised with this figure! I had it lined 4 years ago with class 2 for my gas fire, materials and labour inc £300.

I've checked the prices online for the liner req'd for a multifuel, and i can't see why having it done would be £500 more expensive. Stack is approx 11m and straight up, no bends.

Jon

It's not £500 more expensive though is it? The liner for a multifuel is a lot more expensive than a std gas flexi so the £300 v £800 isn't a valid comparison as the material cost is not the same.

IMHO £800 for 11m stainless steel multi-fuel liner fitted (with them messing round on the roof) isn't bad. The materials have got to be over £500+. Do you want to be messing about on the roof with something you're not particularly well versed in for a couple of hundred quid? What happens when you get up there, drop the liner, and you've not got that flashing tile connection plate you need?

Sponsored Links
Stove shops can be notoriously expensive on installation charges; if you get yourself some quotes from independent HETAS registered installers in your area (link in my previous post) you may be pleasantly surprised.

That’s the route I took 2 years ago when installing my own Stovax Riva 55 inset which I bought on-line. The quote I accepted included supplying & fitting the liner (8m in my case), register plates & pot cap, Vermiculite insulation around the flue & installation/commissioning/certification of the fire itself. I did the all building works on the hearth, fire opening & a fixed ventilator which my installer was happy for me to do (but check first). Total cost (excluding the fire) was £850 & well over half that was for the liner & ancillaries which I ordered & paid for direct, he just picked it all up on the day.

It's not £500 more expensive though is it?

It cost me £300 all in to have it lined with gas flue pipe, and quote approx £800+ to have it lined again for a stove = AT LEAST £500 more expensive, unless you can point out a fault in my maths?

I know the material is more expensive, i've looked at enough websites....

for example: 5" gas liner is £11pm, plus £40 for ancilliaries = £172. £300 all in means labour must have beenin region of £140.

Class 1 904/316 is £25pm + ancilliaries = £350 materials approx, plus £140 labour = best part of £500.

Therefore, £800 seems expensive when I compare it to having it lined with class 2 gas pipe a couple of years ago.

IMO, shoving a bit of flexi pipe down a chimney, some simple mortar work and a few nuts n bolts (I have all the equipment, harnesses etc for roof work), isn't that difficult, and if it saves me £300, i'll do it!

One company quoted me £1100 this morning!! Sounds like a rip off to me. Unless there's something obvious i'm missing which will account for the excessive costs i've been quoted!?

Richard C, thanks for your advice, i'll be phoning some today! :)

jon

Before you jump in and do it all yourself, I'd read up on what liner you want. Most 316 grade liners are guaranteed for 10 years. The 904 grade liners tend to be 20 years. Also, don't just go for the cheapest liner you can find as they vary greatly. Some of the cheap 904 liners are not as heavy or well made as more expensive 316 liners. Avoid Docherty liners at all cost. A quick Google will tell you why....

I'm having one fitted on Saturday. It's costing me around £1100 for the full job - flue (904 grade tested to T600 w/25yr guarantee), chimney cowl, custom register plate, stove fitting (HETAS approved so no need to involce Building Regs). The liner being supplied costs £750 on it's own. I would never be prepared to hoist myself up on the roof and do anything like this so I have little option but to get someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back