re-mculloch petrol mower

Obviously the high voltage electricity is finding it easier to track back along the HT lead, rather than to fire at the plug......this could be due to a perished HT lead, or maybe the plug connector (wire spiral) inside the boot isn't making contact with the HT lead inner core.
I'd carefully pull the boot free - its really just held by itself and the fact that the HT lead and plug connector are at right angles to eachother.
Feel free to test or run the engine without the boot in place, if you want.
John :)
hi, just went to halfords/homebase for new plug. £7 and £8 respectively, ordered online £3something tells me it aint that;;
.will try and pull lead off, if it's bonded, I would have thought it shouldn't turn, but don't want to knacker it.
How do I reconnect to plug without boot end to run engine, or should the end pull round the angle? :?:

Sponsored Links
Obviously the high voltage electricity is finding it easier to track back along the HT lead, rather than to fire at the plug......this could be due to a perished HT lead, or maybe the plug connector (wire spiral) inside the boot isn't making contact with the HT lead inner core.
I'd carefully pull the boot free - its really just held by itself and the fact that the HT lead and plug connector are at right angles to eachother.
Feel free to test or run the engine without the boot in place, if you want.
UPDATE, pulled boot end off and put it on plug, only just, not quite long enough, but fired up ok.so boot end is the problem it seemswhere do I buy a new one, running without will probably damage tension lead as it's bent tight at plug due to short lead.Just retried, and first time fire without the boot, but, nogo with it ?success in a way, was always positive it was spark, but not boot end

Traditionally the boot end is just a waterproofer cap, rather than the supressor type. (You could post a pic of it if you like).
If the lead isn't long enough then thats an issue as the HT lead is moulded into the igniter and can't easily be lengthened......I suspect that the plug connection hasn't been making a good contact with the HT lead inner core (usually carbon strand for supression, if I recall).

Traditionally the boot end is just a waterproofer cap, rather than the supressor type. (You could post a pic of it if you like).
If the lead isn't long enough then thats an issue as the HT lead is moulded into the igniter and can't easily be lengthened......I suspect that the plug connection hasn't been making a good contact with the HT lead inner core (usually carbon strand for supression, if I recall).
just looked online for one. the same that's on it is £25 off amazon, but £7 + £4 delivery from briggsbits.looks like briggsbits.if lead was 1 inch longer, wouldn't bother.there's 2 on briggsbits, terminal end and elbow, rubber, and sparkplug shield, metal, for side valve engines, £4 and£6, they would both probably do the job, £25 is ridicuhttp://s11.postimg.org/tynqe4mfn/shield.pnglous;don't know if this works on here with pics
their delivery is expensive.need it though.at least I know what's wrong that's why it was intermittent;, will put diaphagm on and new plug.thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are on to a winner!
All of these HT systems are tight on the lead length, but not overly so, I've found.
Obviously you need the exact match for your engine, and the gap between the igniter and flywheel is the same as a piece of card from a Cornflakes packet.

Sounds like you are on to a winner!
All of these HT systems are tight on the lead length, but not overly so, I've found.
Obviously you need the exact match for your engine, and the gap between the igniter and flywheel is the same as a piece of card from a Cornflakes packet.
hi john, just fitted new diaphragm,but, worked ok without;; using old plug, but changing it, and running without a boot,till new one comes, purring like a kitten, first time start in 3 years or more.To think a bad connection in the boot could cause so much grief, don't know if it' had suppressor inbuilt.was gonna bin it and get another. :) :) cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back