Re-papering without stripping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do quite a bit of work for a hotel (stone built, main building dates from about 1800) and they've asked me if I will redecorate the dining room with exactly the same William Morris wallpaper that is on the walls already (from about 20 years ago at least). Apparently you can still get the same design.

My instinct is to remove the original, crossline, then re-paper. The problem is that this will take the dining room out of use for longer than just re-papering would, although they do have a smaller dining room which can be used. The original paper was professionally hung and is not loose or anything, just darkened over time and from candle smoke (they are big on candles!).

My feeling is though that if they are going to pay a fortune for the wallpaper, it would be best to do it properly. I'd be worried that without a crosslined liner, it will be more difficult to get a professional result with the new paper. In another room, I hung an expensive Zoffany wallpaper for them (onto stripped, then crosslined walls) and they love that - but I'm worried they'll expect the same result the 'short-cut' way.

Or am I worrying unnecessarily? Has anyone had any success in papering over existing paper? I have visions of the joins separating, etc.

Views welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you did go the paper on paper route a coat of gardz first would help.

I had a job once where i just couldn't get the old paper off, so i lined straight over it and every single seem opened up, it looked awful and i'm not really sure why it happened but i know gardz will seal the existing paper and give you a relatively fresh surface to paper onto. Its always a risk though IMO.

Thanks for that, dcdec. It has helped me make my mind up! I've decided I'm not going to risk my professional reputation by cutting corners on this one - I'll either do it properly or not at all.

The other option I was wondering about was reviving/cleaning the existing wallpaper - probably a non-starter, as candle smoke grime is a beggar to remove. Suggestions welcome though!

Sponsored Links
Have to agree. there are times when a Bodge job does no favours if you have a good reputation,
One bodge job can have a "Knock on affect" and cost more in the long run with other jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back