Re: Planning Application - Does the name actually matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate is submitting planning application in order to build an extension.

If the name of the applicant is 'Daffy Duck' does it actually matter? If it does matter, then why?

My mate is a very private person and does not want his actual name on the planning portal website for all to see

Sponsored Links
Yes it matters. If your mate needs to be taken to court they need to know his name, and if he submits a false name is that fraud or deception? I can't remember.

Anyone can apply for permission though, even if you don't own the property, so why don't you apply on your mate's behalf as an early crimbo present?

Sponsored Links
Because as mentioned you'll be signing a legal document and falsifying the the information (or something).

He wouldn't be falsifying anything would he? For example I could apply for a rear extension on mercury towers, and if granted , you or I could then build said extension?

He wouldn't be falsifying anything would he? For example I could apply for a rear extension on mercury towers, and if granted , you or I could then build said extension?
But Freddie won't be taken to court if you falsify the application.

I don't understand what would be false about it. I put Freddies address on the form for the property, my name and address as the applicant, and then say that I don't own the property. This must happen all the time when people apply before buying a property?

I don't understand what would be false about it. I put Freddies address on the form for the property, my name and address as the applicant, and then say that I don't own the property. This must happen all the time when people apply before buying a property?
The question is whether you can apply in a false applicant name, not apply for something on other's land in your name.

Most councils blank out the details of the applicant. If not then as others have suggested, an agent could apply on his behalf. They would however have to serve notice on the owner and again this is on the form so publicly available (although again some LPAs block out the info). It is unlawful to knowingly submit false information though and you have to sign a declaration that all information you provide is true and accurate.

Yes, hence my original suggestion that he applies on his mates behalf.
I get what you are saying. Mr Sparkle applies for PP on his mate’s property. Nothing illegal in that. None of the documentation will then show his mate’s name (or any other revealing details), so his mate’s privacy is maintained.

Makes sense to me.

Of course, it wouldn’t stop neighbours (or anyone else) searching the local council website for planning applications, so it’s likely a neighbour would soon discover that someone had applied for PP on the property.

Last edited:
There's no fraud here. Ownership Certificate A allows an agent to sign on behalf of an owner.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back